Thread: Nuc covers

Default Nuc covers

Hi.
    I've seen around the net several pictures of people that have double and even 4 nuc's to a single box. they all have some type of 'cloth' accross them that allow's them to remove the cover, and inspect a single nuc at a time w/o exposing the other 'nuc' in the same box. What type of material are they using? Is is some type of burlap or plastic burlap cover - just cut to the dimensions they need?

Default Re: Nuc covers

yes, that is what it is. Just make sure it will breathe out the water vapor that is a by product of the brood nest.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Mine are canvas. I would have bought white but they were out that day, so I ended up with blue...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Woven bags that commercial grass seed applicators use. Find a local hydro seeding company and you will get a lifetime supply.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I've been using older tarps because they don't lose threads on the edges like the feed bags around here.

A follow up question if I might -

I've built some nuc's using the tradition 'bottom board' format. Is this the 'usual' or are many people using IPM (screened only) bottom boards? I think it could only help with ventilalazion and potentially mites/beetles/ etc. Just curious how many use 'only' screened and what issues might be there if you dont use a 'solid' bottom board on/for nucs?

thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by seapro220 View Post
    A follow up question if I might -

I've built some nuc's using the tradition 'bottom board' format. Is this the 'usual' or are many people using IPM (screened only) bottom boards? I think it could only help with ventilalazion and potentially mites/beetles/ etc. Just curious how many use 'only' screened and what issues might be there if you dont use a 'solid' bottom board on/for nucs?
    I use scrap 3/4" or 5/8" plywood with 2 cedar shims for bottom boards, sort of an inverse of MB's top entrance lids. They are easy and cheap. None of mine are screened. The screens may give you a ventilation advantage when it is really hot, or you have them closed up for moving, but I don't see any other advantages. Certainly does not help with SHB and it is very questionable if they have any impact at all on your mite population.

I've decided, at least for now to use solid bottom boards. I'll probably make up a couple of 3/4 screened bottom boards to aid with ventilation as needed and see how they do. Interestingly I wasn't able to find the correct hole size needed for my quart jars on my Migratory tops, so I'm using a 2 7/8" bit (i believe) and just cut another shim out of 3/4 to fit along the top. Using this method, my quart jar doesn't 'hit' or not fit well on my tops, it addes a a nice 'lip' to the top cover, some air space, and seems to hang just right for the bees.

Anyway, I've got 2 new splits going now and am watching them daily to see what happens. I've got 8 queen cells in 1 nuc, and 4 in another so there's gonna be some fighting going on in the next week or so...

now, wish i had a good solution for the SHB ...

Quote Originally Posted by seapro220 View Post
    I've got 8 queen cells in 1 nuc, and 4 in another so there's gonna be some fighting going on in the next week or so...
    seapro, Sounds like you need to make more splits with all those cells! ;<)

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Woven bags that commercial grass seed applicators use. ..
    I use some of these, but I'm not crazy about the shreds of plastic that eventually come off from them...

Adam

Probably so - but running out of brood and 'stock'. Image that. I could probably make up some 2 frame units and start several that way, but hadn't thought of going that route as I'm just getting into it - and hadn't thought it'd be 'gang-busters' from the start. Usually people are needing queens, and not brood-stock huh ?? I have a triple-deep box that is going pretty well now, so i might try to make another split from it this weekend. That's the box that I really want to 'graft' from as that hive has grown from a (tear-out feral hive) 5-frame nuc to a triple-deep box since 5-11. Talk about gang-busters, 6 weeks to 3 almost full deep boxes. Here's the link, if I do it right - to the other posting I generated which shows some pictures from my 2 nuc boxes last night. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...and-characters

Last edited by seapro220; 06-21-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    I use some of these, but I'm not crazy about the shreds of plastic that eventually come off from them...

Adam
    The silver and black plastic tarps that we use for construction don't shred like the feed bags. When they get old and torn up, I cut up the good parts for covers. I had to stop using the feed bags because the threads were a mess. Not sure if the lighter blue tarps would work or not.

My nucs are screened bottom. They work fine in the Texas heat.

My nucs have a fixed/permanent bottom that is half screen. The entrance is a simple hole in one end of the nuc. Works fine in the hottest weather and I overwinter in them as well (though they have a windbreak then).