Default pwr ur bear fence w/redneck generator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8J9_yv2grM#t=74

This & my solar battery charger would be good idea to keep charger goin
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: pwr ur bear fence w/redneck generator

no expert here but doesn't the output from the charging source have to be above the battery rating to store a charge. for example greater than 12 volt for a 12 volt battery to do anything.
    Waiting for the experts to chime in.
    mike

I'm glad you're waiting for the experts, cuz I ain't one. I too was hoping someone in the know would make suggestions on how to do something like this. I have a few bears in my neighborhood. I have a solar fence charger. I don't know how many joules it has or takes to repel a hungry bear.

My son is going to college for renewable energy engineering. I wish I could recruit him to work on it @ home.

Lakebilly, what are you using for the alternator, or is it just a dc motor. It is hard when you don't have enough details. Some folks will use a 24 volt dc motor to generate enough to charge 12 volts because of the low rpm.
    Johno

OK I see that you are using what looks like an automobile alternator, does it have an internal voltage regulator or an external voltage regulator. Most regulators require external excitation such as when ignition is turned on the battery light comes on and is grounded through the regulator when the engine runs and turns the alternator that little voltage from the batt indicator exites the regulator which applies voltage to the rotor which gets the alternator to provide power.
    Johno

johno, I am not using anything. I posted this to see if anyone found this interesting & possibly augment their setup. I hope to take info & make one @ some point. I didn't expect to only be a bystander gleaning from those in the know.

The youtube video states that it is a GM alternator & GM clutch fan.

If you are concerned that the existing solar panel that the charger already has is not adequate for extended cloudy periods, my opinion is that adding an additional solar panel and more battery capacity can be done more easily and likely at lower expense than cobbling up a wind generator.

Harbor Fright has a variety of inexpensive solar panels - a fence charger doesn't really have a very high electrical demand to start with. And if you add a wind generator, you will likely still need to add a battery anyway.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Have fun Lakebilly, you might be better off going the solar panel route. But if you want to go the wind generator route there are many sites you could google. The ones that I have come across were made from old mainframe tape drive motors with home made blades , a single piece of good timber carved out to make a 2 bladed prop. this blade has to be balanced or the resulting vibration tears the whole thing apart, Shorter diameter fans do not create enough torque to really be worth while.
    Johno

I spend a lot of time on youtube. Renewable energy has been my latest quest. It could be that being trapped inside, I am overly stir crazy trying to learn things that would help in my pursuits of the perfect setups. I really hate the thought of this one yard getting mauled. Again I was hoping to be a spectator after the conversation got started. 5 years on this site you may notice I almost never give advice. So many others that do it well, I'd rather just learn.

Use a solar panel/wind turbine as your 'generator'. Get a charge controller, you need one and they're cheap. A battery is needed, your choice of what kind. And possibly an inverter if your energizer is AC, I would recommend a 12v energizer. With this set up its easy to diagnose what component went bad if you have a problem as opposed to an all-in-one type of energizer. Go as cheap or expensive as you want and Voila!
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook