Default Installing Two Pkges of Bees

I have heard that you should not install the two packages of bees (two hives) at the same time but wait till the first package stops fanning. How long is that approx? Also install as late in the day as possible. My hives are approx 2 to 3 ft from each other. Any suggestions and experiences...

Default Re: Installing Two Pkges of Bees

Personally, I don't think waiting to install the second package will be of any value. Bees always have the opportunity to drift to a different hive anyway.

I'd install in the warmest part of the day with this weather. Make sure to keep feed available.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

last year i installed two packages at the same time right next to each other and had no problems at all just my two cents

Sometimes they do move next door, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the queen, than doing them at the same time.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Do you think delaying the install of the second so the first hive has time to settle would be beneficial in any way?

I agree with the others. I installed both of my packages in new TBH's within minutes of each other last year. In my case, I got local bees and the workers hadn't even been introduced to their queens until they were installed in the hives. I had no issues whatsoever and the hives were about 5 ft. apart.

You don't say when you are getting your bees. When you get them, you will have to feed 1:1 syrup. If the temperatures here in NC don't improve by the time you get them, you may want to consider heating the syrup in the microwave to around 95 degrees. I don't know what others think of this strategy, but it seemed to work well for my bees...allowing them to feed during colder periods.

Good luck!

>Do you think delaying the install of the second so the first hive has time to settle would be beneficial in any way?

Maybe. When I've been doing packages I never had time to do anything but keep going...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF