Default Lemongrass oil impregnated wax

I have increased my swarm trap effort this year. I had another beekeeper who was downsizing give me about 12 deep 10 frame boxes. I made covers & bottoms etc. and have them hung here & there. I've gotten a few in the past & those that I didn't get to within a few days built comb all over of course & removing them was a mess.
    This time I scorched all the boxes and put a single old frame of brood comb in and 9 other frames of medium wired foundation I secured with fishing line. IF any of these get a taker I should retrieve nicely drawn comb.
    The other thing I did was melt one piece of foundation and added several drops of lemongrass oil to the melted wax. I melted it in hot water so I could take a couple of frames and dip the ends in the wax/water. This coated the ends with scented wax. It's been several days & the wax still has the lemon smell. Will this possibly keep the scent as long or longer than other methods?
    Thanks
    Howard

Default Re: Lemongrass oil impregnated wax

I think odfrank does something similar (yet different) with LGO mixed in wax. I 'believe' what he said he would do is take a torch and a piece of wax and melt it to the inside of the box just above the entrance, and while doing that he would drop some LGO into the hot (bubbly) wax and call it good. It definately works for him!

Default Re: Lemongrass oil impregnated wax

I'd like to hear from odfrank. I've read here that he is somewhat of swarm trap pro. I need more free bees!
    Another thought which is likely best put in a new post is a theory about swarms & AFB.
    I've been the, not so fortunate, recipient of AFB in a couple of my hives. In the future I am going to treat swarms as if I were doing an AFB shake out.
    I'll take the swarm and put them on undrawn foundation with a single frame of drawn for them to deposit any honey in. After 24 hours this is removed and replaced with plain foundation. This is what Ross Conrad does or did.
    There is a NJ bee inspector that is on YouTube and shows how to shake out an AFB hive but he doesn't use a frame of drawn for honey. He states the bees metabolize the AFB spores as they make wax.
    I wonder if this actually kills spores?
    He also follows up with two TM treatments.