Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

can i just feed them honey??

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
In the spring or with new bees everyone says feed them sugar water... Is there a reason not to just feed them some honey??

#4 ·
Honey is very attractive to bees. Depending on how you feed it, you may be inviting other bees to become robbers. If other bees start robbing your bees, you will have a problem.

Of course, it is possible to feed bees honey without inducing robbing, but there may be other risks in the honey itself. Those risks do not involve humans, but risks to bee health. The odds are probably low that the honey will be a bee health issue, but why risk it?

#6 ·
I have some honey still drained off from cappings and wax and from some cut outs that I don't want to consume. I have fed small amounts (1/2 pint) via top feeders and I give it at dusk, on nights I know temp wont go below 60, and they have it empty by mid morning. I have been watching for robbing. I add a little water and shake well to thin it out a little. So far, it's workiing well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.