Default nuc hived in 10 frame with top entrance

Hi all,

I have a question about a nuc I hived into a 10 frame Langstroth. First, I have a thick skin so if I did something stupid, tell me! I want to learn. No need to be mean but I do enjoy a direct answer.

I am in zone 8a and the past week we have been in the 40's in the day and in the 30's at night. Both hives are in full sun from 8 am to 3 pm. Both hives are in one deep and two mediums. I am planning on cutting the deeps down to mediums when the weather warms consistently. The first hive has bees pouring out and in and times there is an amazing traffic jam. The other hive was a nuc that I hived into a 10 frame Langstroth. Before I hived it it had a bottom entrance and was quite active. When I put it in the 10 frame I wanted a top entrance so I put two deeps on a SBB and then put another two mediums on top of them. I used an inner cover and migratory cover with shims for top entrance and blocked the bottom entrance.

My question concerns the bees flying. I did not notice many, if any, leaving the hive from the top entrance today or yesterday and the other hive is constantly flying. Should I be concerned? They have to know there is a top entrance because they went in the top when I moved them last week. So will they figure this out?

Thanks for any help!
    Brent

Default Re: nuc hived in 10 frame with top entrance

It sounds as though one hive was recently moved over from a smaller nuc, and the other was overwintered in its current hive body. Is that correct? If so, its not surprising that they have different amount of traffic at this point.

There are many beekeepers that would not give a new hived nuc excessive room. If you moved this nuc into a single deep, you could wait to add another box until they have built out 8 frames in the deep. Similarly, wait to add the second medium until they have mostly built out the first medium.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree with Rader, you gave them to much room to start.

Thanks! So I should shake the bees off the frames in the second medium and pull the drawn frames off until they build out the deep and the medium? I can do when it is above 50 degrees right?

Another thing to think about is the SBB. It's going to be allowing a lot of ventilation perhaps more forcibly cooling the cluster than would be desirable.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline