Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Post cutout development?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Riskybizz 
#1 ·
I hived a cutout recently, with ~2 frames of brood comb, some capped brood, much of which seems to be dead due to the comb being deformed. I added in a frame of honey.

It's been about 10 days since the cutout and they've attached one brood comb to the top bar of the frame. Rest of the comb seems ignored, and there seem fewer bees than the day I did the cutout (maybe a third less).

There is a queen and eggs. This is the first successfully hived cutout I've had and I am wondering about how long it takes them to repair damaged comb, recover from the shock of the cutout, etc.

I am thinking of putting a frame of brood comb in from another hive to give them a boost.

#3 ·
No, but thanks for mentioning that. I had thought the frame of capped honey that I put in would be enough, but I can see where it probably wouldnt hurt to give them some 1:1.

#4 ·
I hived a cut out on 3-8-13 with 5 frames of rubber banded comb and lots of bees into a nuc. 11 days later I transferred them into a 10 frame deep and added 5 frames of foundation.I have been feeding them a pint of 1:1 every day. I inspected them today and they have attatched all of the cut out comb to the frames and pulled 2+ additional frames out with new comb. Hoping to add a second deep in a week to 10 days. they are bringing in a lot of pollen!

#5 ·
Dawdy

We do a lot of cutouts up here. If you have a laying queen and brood congratulations. If you have a frame of brood from another colony feel free to give them a boost. Make sure they have a honey supply or feed them as it will help them rebuild the comb you tied into the frames. 1:1 syrup means they have do do a lot more work than if you fed them 2:1. I like to leave my cutouts undisturbed for quite awhile while they get settled in. If you have some good empty drawn comb stick a few frames in there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.