Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Expansion Model Beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i have a long time friend who lives in rogers that i visit occasionally, would like to visit your apiary if possible.
    I would be happy to host.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

thanks solomon, and likewise if you find yourself down this way.

regarding the queen castles, did you make your own?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I did make my own queen castles using the design found at my website: http://parkerfarms.biz/queens.html#Mating_Nucs

They can be made using only a table saw or a radial arm saw with some creativity. Having a dado set really helps but is not absolutely necessary.

i see you prefer the three by three in the ten frame box. that's what i'm leaning toward too.

if one of the three fails, can you simply pull a divider and let them combine?

Yes. In fact. in my most recent batch of mating nucs, I ran out of queen cells so I pulled two dividers and made two six frame mating nucs in two separate boxes.

I'll do the same thing when I find that one of the queens didn't return from her mating flights.

cool. i'm guessing that about when the first round or so of brood starts emerging they get moved into a bigger box.

i'm liking the idea of them ending up in five frame nuc boxes, mainly to have spare queens, brood, ect. to keep my my twelve production hives optimized and to have replacements for losses.

have you tried overwintering any nucs?

I think the long hives I've been experimenting with would make first class nuc batteries and queen castles. I'm using top entrances routed into the covering boards. It would be pretty easy to make up covering boards and dividers in the sizes you planned to use, and the system would be very flexible.

openhive.jpg

I imagine you could paint stripes of different colors, and have entrances on opposite sides, to cut down on confusion.

yep, i think that would work fine ray, and easier on the back too.

and there would be less heat loss if you tried to overwinter more than one in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    have you tried overwintering any nucs?
    I have not yet gotten them to survive the summer. The winter should be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    I imagine you could paint stripes of different colors, and have entrances on opposite sides, to cut down on confusion.
    I do have one box you could call a nuc battery. It has space for 4 five frame nucs, entrances on either side and the end. The queen castles also have entrances on either side and one end. The other end has screened ventilation holes to attract robbers.

SOlomon, I do not have time to read yoru entire post much less this entire thread right now.

I will say it has captured my attention though. Right at this moment my apiary has expended from5 colonies to 10 in a little over a weeks time. I also found two of my hives queenless. I also desire to have a nuc for each of my hives. which I have none at this moment and not enough equipment for all of them. You comments on queen castles looks good to me at this moment.

I also believe that your Expansion model beekeping would fit into my inclination well. It is my base thinking on keeping of anything that thriving healthy and vibrant is the first order of business. For me it is like this. if you cannot take an average colony and build it to a healthy thriving colony. what makes you think you can take an ailing one and make it healthy. In general is see the effort is producing sick colonies form healthy ones. For me the whole thinking just does not fit. If you cannot keep a healthy colony healthy. you might as well exterminate them as they get sick. Bringing a sick animal back to health is a whole different level of skill.

I wish you well with your development of this method.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I feel your pain on the weather. Every time I think the weather has mellowed out I try something cool with the bees and the weather changes it's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    SOlomon, I do not have time to read yoru entire post much less this entire thread right now.
    Well, I tried to read yours and I don't know what you're trying to say, but I will say this: You cannot keep a colony healthy, that's its job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12