Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Fancy hive stand, did you build it specifically for a have stand or is it repurposed?

    I notice your side bars are not self spacing. What do you use for a spacer?
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    I am trying these fly tying beads for spacing. C.C. Miller, Eugene Killion and Brother Adam used a hob nail for spacing.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Custom frame; 1.125" wide, .875 thick top bar and .500 thick end and bottom bar.



    Purchased Jumbo frame, thin end bars (5/16"). The end bars draw inward when wire (mono fishing line) is installed.


    Last edited by rail; 03-29-2013 at 07:10 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    The stand is purpose built for 8 frame and 10 frame hives... Picture of an 8 frame Jumbo brood chamber and nuclei.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    I use Rite-Cell for them to start drawing straight comb, then install foundationless frames between drawn Rite-Cell.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,411

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    >I would like to know the science behind why a colony would winter better in a 8 frame. Maybe it's similar to the success of over wintered nucs. Colony size dependent? Anybody?

    They seem to winter better when the size of the cavity they are in matches the diameter of the cluster. They also don't leave food behind them so much when they are in a smaller width box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,803

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    These are the seven shimmed up Jumbos I made this winter. Redwood siding off a house with white paint turned inside and redwood stain. Ooopps, picture only show five.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    [QUOTE=odfrank;914684]These are the seven shimmed up Jumbos I made this winter. Redwood siding off a house with white paint turned inside and redwood stain. Ooopps, picture only show five.

    Odfrank,

    How many different size Jumbo chambers are you using?

    Do you overwinter your 12 frame (square) Jumbos with or without a super?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,803

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    [QUOTE=rail;914847][QUOTE=odfrank;914684 How many different size Jumbo chambers are you using?

    Too many. 50+ ten frame single and double deeps, 12 - 12 frame jumbos, probably 20 ten frame jumbos, 2 - ten frame with six double deep frames in the middle, 1 - ten frame all medium depths frames. Starting for clients - three Warres, one octagon Warre and one topbar, two eight frame all medium depth. It is fun experimenting with other people's money. What am I forgetting?

    Do you overwinter your 12 frame (square) Jumbos with or without a super?[/QUOTE]
    The last few years they have mostly died during the winter. Because of our winter eucalyptus flow, I purge honey from brood chambers fall and winter. Before mites, I used to leave a super during winter.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    [QUOTE=odfrank;914974]
    Quote Originally Posted by rail View Post
    The last few years they have mostly died during the winter. Because of our winter eucalyptus flow, I purge honey from brood chambers fall and winter. Before mites, I used to leave a super during winter.
    I would assume the 10 frame Jumbos perform better than the 12 frame?

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I think Charles Dadant was just ahead of the curve. With the additional depth and wider width I expect the Dadant hives to winter better than the Langs. The extra width adds more insulation to the cluster and the depth gives them more time before they have to move up.

    I haven't ever really understood the less weight argument... I get excited when I try and lift a heavy box. Being a beekeeper who is opposed to heavy boxes is like being a chef who doesn't like the heat of a kitchen... it just doesn't work that way.
    Are you using Dadant's hive dimensions (width) or Lang?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by rail View Post
    Are you using Dadant's hive dimensions (width) or Lang?
    I am using Dadant width, 11 frames. Brother Adam tried many hives and than modified the Dadant to hold 12 frames and that became his standard. He wrote quite a bit about his success with it.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,803

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    [QUOTE=rail;915232]
    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I would assume the 10 frame Jumbos perform better than the 12 frame?
    With the die off problem since 2006 and no accurate testing I can only go by personal observations. I have run the 12 frames since 1979 and I remember in the eighties pulling my crops with my friends and all of us exalting about the huge crops on the jumbo hives. We do not really have a winter so their size for wintering is not an issue with me. I think they produce more massive populations on the large frames and swarm less in the larger hives. When they do swarm, watch out! Because of the wider footprint they do not stack up as high, so it is hard to get a perspective on which hive has more honey on it. I think the ten frame with Jumbo frames is a good size because it does not require oddball equipment other than the brood chamber. The deep brood chambers fit all the other Langstroth ten frame appliances. I built a 12 hive, 12 frame division back then with supers to match but have not expanded it because it is such a specialized/oddball footprint.
    I lost nine out of eleven of the 12 framers this winter due to the die off.

    Crop on 12 framer 2009:



    Crops on ten framers 2007:

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I am using Dadant width, 11 frames. Brother Adam tried many hives and than modified the Dadant to hold 12 frames and that became his standard. He wrote quite a bit about his success with it.
    Are you using Dadant's & Quinby's 1 1/2" spacing?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by rail View Post
    Are you using Dadant's & Quinby's 1 1/2" spacing?
    No. Sticking with 1 3/8 frames.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Trinity, NC, USA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Bluegrass,

    How are the Jumbo hives progressing?

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by rail View Post
    Bluegrass,

    How are the Jumbo hives progressing?
    I only started one with a package last season. It is alive and well to this point. I have 20 more hives I am getting ready to go for this season.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I only started one with a package last season. It is alive and well to this point. I have 20 more hives I am getting ready to go for this season.
    Have you done a cost analysis on 2 or 3 jumbos compared to 1 9-5/8", and multiple supers? To me it makes sense not having as much equipment to haul around. I run all deeps, and personally don't like having to use multiple boxes.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington In
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    These are the seven shimmed up Jumbos I made this winter. Redwood siding off a house with white paint turned inside and redwood stain. Ooopps, picture only show five.

    Removing siding to build bee hive's, odfrank when you say I lost my house because of my bees, you mean it.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Issaquah,WA,USA
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Special delivery arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Don't you know the new age beekeeper uses all mediums in eight frame hives?
    That is because we give a ribbon to our kids just for showing up. We are creating a bunch of weenies. Keep using the jumbo frames and show them.

    Dadant did a lot of research. Does the new introduction of the Mites change his results? He had lots of success would those still be true with the new age of the diseases we have to deal with?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads