Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Extractor and other equipment....

Im a relatively new beekeeper and considering buying my extraction equipment. I am looking at this one:

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=368

My reading leads me to believe its a great product? Will it be a QUALITY piece of equipment for years to come?

On top of this, what else do I need to extract in terms of Bins, Straining equipment, etc? For finance reasons, I need to purchase this year. I only have 2 hives now, but plans of expanding quickly.

Default Re: Extractor and other equipment....

Post #1 has a broken link - I believe this M00400 20 frame radial model is the Dadant extractor he is attempting to link to:

Brazos, the difference between the two links is that while both display an ellipsis "..." as part of the link, yours actually does have periods in the actual link. This is a result of how you copied and pasted from the other thread where you initially posted it.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I purchased a maxant extractor this year. Very nice piece of equipment. Along with that I also use a cold uncapping knife, a Mann lake plastic uncapping tank, capping scratcher, 5 gal bucket strainers, a pail perch , along with many 5 gal buckets, a couple with a honey gate.

If you now know that bees are going to be a long term part of your life, an extractor that can do 20 frames at a time is not a bad idea. Half stepping is always more expensive. I would advise you to search out a used extractor. Every extractor wears out several beekeepers so find a motorized extractor in that size range. With the money you save buying used.

Buy a settling tank of at least twenty five gallons. That makes life so much easier. The honey in your jars will all be the same color unless you choose to segregate varietals. A good cheap pre strainer is one leg at a time of a panty hose stretched over a bucket. With some juggling you can switch to another bucket and dump the first bucket in your tank. That way you have fairly clean honey that will clarify in the tank with most debris floating and spare heavy things settling on the bottom of the tank. Then when you tent the tank and warm it to 100 degrees. You tap off honey thru a bucket strainer bought at any beek supply. The honey will be ready to bottle.

Get an electric heated uncapping knife. Learn to work fast and between frames immerse it in the cappings in whatever tub you use to catch them. Otherwise you will burn honey.

The capping scratcher mentioned you need to but the extractor and a settling tank and the knife are the expense. The rest is just tubs and buckets and a mess.

OH, when the panty hose is full of wet gooey cappings dripping honey. I hang them from the garage door tracks over a bucket to drip out. That is one cheap and messy way of starting for a guy planning on getting a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
    Im a relatively new beekeeper and considering buying my extraction equipment. I am looking at this one:

My reading leads me to believe its a great product? Will it be a QUALITY piece of equipment for years to come?
    I had and enjoyed a Dadant extractor for over 20 years until a hurricane ate it. Great piece of equipment that I will have a very hard time, indeed, replacing. Dadant builds good stuff!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I've been looking for a good used extractor for some time now , seems like the good quality brand name ones in the 6-8 frame range are hard to find and when you do find one they want almost as much as a new one . I like the dadant Ranger model but so far no luck yet .
    First Year 3 Hives T USDA Zone 5b

I thought clarifying was from straining? What is tenting?

I kept bees 26 years without an extractor. It's not necessary. If you want to spend the money on it, then I would buy at least an 18 frame electric one. If quality is your only concern, I'd buy a Maxant. If price is your concern you'd have to see what current prices are from all the suppliers.
    Last edited by Michael Bush; 12-24-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Clarifying is just a word for clearing. Micro wax particles rise as do the little air bubbles all resulting in a clear clean product. If you just put a clean plastic tarp over your tank with a space heater in a couple deep boxes so nothing catches fire, a milk house heater will warm the honey up enough to clarify and to go thru the bucket filters you can buy from bee supply outfits. Don't get the tightest one as it takes all day to get a little honey thru it and it just doesn't need to be filtered that fine. Just ways of operating til you can justify a more commercial type rig.
    I thought clarifying was from straining? What is tenting?

You want be disappointed with the Dadant. You can extract 20 deep frames at one time or 30 something medium or shallow. They come with a variable speed direct drive motor. I have the power ranger from Dadant and it is a nice little extractor. I want to upgrade to the 20 frame this year too.

I bought a used Dadant 18 frame radial and can't imagine extracting any other way. I don't know how old it is, but I'd bet it's at least 20. I don't know if they have changed any of the working parts, but if it is the same or similar I would highly recommend it. It's a lot of money, but it's a great investment.

I only have 2 hives now, but plans of expanding quickly.
    To what level? Will it be a business with write offs? Will you be paying for labor? These are the questions you should ask yourself before you buy anything. The biggest is not always the best. Some times, most times it is better to buy two smaller ones and work the two as a cell. You load one while the other is spinning.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

>You can extract 20 deep frames at one time or 30 something medium or shallow.

The only questions would be "do you extract in your kitchen?" and "will it fit through the door to get it in the kitchen?"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The only questions would be "do you extract in your kitchen?"
    I think my next investment is going to have to be a dedicated building.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

I am the labor but it will be for ag purposes and write offs. Mostly, I don't want to spend a ton of time extracting. However I can do it quickest with the least amount of work is what I'm after.

I am the labor but it will be for ag purposes and write offs.
    I am not sure how beekeepers write off bee equipment that only gets used a few hours a year. It would seem the IRS would have a ruling on that.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I am not sure how beekeepers write off bee equipment that only gets used a few hours a year. It would seem the IRS would have a ruling on that.
    It is a business expense.
    A $250,000 combine only gets used 2 or 3 weeks out of the year, should farmers not be able to write that off?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    The IRS doesn't care how much you use it as long as you use it. They do care if your business writes it off and you turn around and use it for personal use too (as in vehicles).

Quote Originally Posted by LSHonda310 View Post
    It is a business expense.
    What business? Beekeeping or agriculture? Could you write off a back hoe if you have 5 hives and you use it to move the hives?
    Brian Cardinal

Are you suggesting that an extractor isn't directly tied to the business of beekeeping? A backhoe? That would raise some flags.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast