Default Shipping by rail

Does anyone have any experience with shipping equipment by rail? I need to ship some supers from Fl to Wi for the summer.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Default Re: Shipping by rail

I have received pallet stock from Arkansas to California by rail. I think I would look at trucks. If you need to ship a bunch, see what industries are near where you are going and see if they have trucks looking for backhauls coming from your area. Just a thought. Rail cars sometimes get side-tracked and dropped for days before they get back in route to the destination. I have had cars sit 3 days 10 miles away before I could get them delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with shipping equipment by rail? I need to ship some supers from Fl to Wi for the summer.
    Many moons ago I use to work for a Freight Forwarder and moved 40' trailers all over the US by rail. At the time I used a company(s) by the name of National Piggyback and Hub City. It was know at that time of Piggybacking the trailer. You will also want the trailer spotted at both ends. Most likely a Drop and a pull (trailer is left for a few days).

If you know the weight and cube of what you are shipping http://www.freightquote.com The company who I work for now does a lot of work for them. After you get a price from them call around and use that quote to get a better price from somebody else.

If you need some other ideas PM me. All depends on weight and cube

Trevor, my career was transportation and logistics (retired). I would discourage an intertidal (motor-rail-motor) solution. Your best bet for the FL-WI lane would be truck. Florida trucks usually deadhead or run empty hundreds of miles to find loads and the most desirable loads are to IL, IA, IN or WI. You have a load that should be very reasonably priced. I would not use freight quote. com but rather contact Landstar Logistics in Jacksonville, Florida. If you have any problems, I can help as a friend is the President. Also, PM or call me 262-308-8572 if you want more information or help on this end.
    Roger Crum
    Kenosha County WI

I love www.freightquote.com. I have had awesome experiences with them!
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless