Hybrid View

Default Does this look like a Buckfast queen?

I know, you can't tell by the color. Folks with experience can give their best guess.

(Please excuse the bad paint job

She's a 2012 model-this is a photo from today. Overwintered in Western Wa so those are also her offspring. The apiary I got her from ended up being questionable. I would like to know what to call her.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-26-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Does this look like a Buckfast queen?

What is a Buckfast queen? I'm not being ignorant, nor am I joking. Buckfast queens were a population bred by Brother Adam. Brother Adam has been gone for some time, and the bees that are sold as "Buckfast" have no relation to the bees he was breeding.

The best analogy I can come up with is something like "Pyrex".....Pyrex kitchen products used to be made of the same material as their lab ware...now, you can buy "Pyrex" kitchen ware (from Corning) that is made of soda-lime...not the borosillicate glass that people expect "Pyrex" to be. Pyrex isn't Pyrex anymore.
    I'm baffled by what people think they are getting when they buy "Buckfast" branded queens.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

"Folks with experience can give their best guess."

I know it's not Brother Adams true strain-
    I know it's not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-

I assume breeders are raising queens that have the correct lineage and exhibit the traits that strains are known for.

It would be nice if labs like UC Davis had some DNA testing for bees like they do for horses, dogs, etc. .
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-26-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Call her Susan . It's REALLY hard and (except to a few hard-cores) not very reliable to characterize a queen for sure just by looking. Sure you could opine that this one's dark abdomen seems Carni, and that one's seems leather Italian, but who's to really know?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I think that supplier may have used a set of dice marked like retirement dice, but he probably bought a lot of the queens he distributed as his own.

THere are people breeding bees of lineages going back to Brother Adams bees. If they want to describe them with the buckfast name, that is logical and proper. But your reservations are well founded and it just doesn't matter~! If she is a good long lived queen raise some queens from her.

Back in the 70s the Buckfasts typically looked like the leather colored Italians. In other words, less "yellow" than the typical commercial Italians. But since he wasn't breeding for color, I'm sure they varied. I'm also sure they have changed over time. I had them from the 70's to 2001 and they were not the same in 2001...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    THere are people breeding bees of lineages going back to Brother Adams bees.
    http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/homage/elver/

Some other old Buckfast lines.http://www.buckfast.biz/

http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/h...d_CD_2010.html