Default 2 packages installed - one robbed - need advice

Need some advice. I installed two packages on Thursday. One had a hive top feeder, the other I used a one gallon baggie placed on top of bars with an empty super on top.

Unfortunately, the hive that had the baggie had two issues. Some syrup dripped down and out the entrance, and the two hive bodies did not fit well causing a crack at the back of the hive (I should have noticed this!).

Yesterday, the hive was being robbed, so I placed duct tape to close off the crack at the rear of the hive, and then severely reduced the entrance even more (It was at its smallest opening - but I put a small piece of board in front so the bees would have to go around the board to get to the entrance and it covered up the entrance.

So, it is now raining today and I am worried if they have any syrup left. 1. Should I open the hive (even though it is raining) and place another baggie? 2. I have an unused plastic entrance feeder, should I put it at the entrance to add syrup figuring they won't get robbed because it is raining? 3. Should I put the entrance feeder inside the hive in the upper empty super to provide syrup? 4. Or should I leave it alone until tomorrow when it is not raining?

Help!

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 packages installed - one robbed - need advice

Take the feed off the hive being robbed. If there is nothing in there to rob, there won't be any robbing.

I would also fix the hive (better than duct tape!) and reduce the entrance to a couple bee's width for the time being.

Once things settle down, put the feed back on the hive, but be careful not to spill any syrup this time. Don't fill the baggie more than about half full, and make small cuts in it.

Under no circumstances would I put a Boardman entrance feeder on a hive that was being robbed!

Peter

Would the boardman feeder used in the upper section be safer than a baggie feeder (in regards to potential for spilling?)

With a new package, you really don't need two boxes. It will be easier for them to defend a smaller area, so I would remove one box for now.

Thanks. I put the second box on just to have space for the one gallon baggie. This is the first time I have tried to feed using baggies, it went well until, in my brilliance, I decided to cut another slit in case they needed more access. That is when the syrup leaked out the front of the hive.

Went up a few minutes ago, replaced the baggie with another one. Hopefully, this will go without too much drama.

I just purchased this hive, not happy that the two boxes don't fit together properly. The one box is apparently not level, when you set it on top of the other one, it leaves a gap in one corner.

Heck, if I wanted boxes that weren't level, I would have made them myself!!!!! Let's just say I am woodworking challenged....That is why I purchased them!

use a pushpin instead of cutting slots. many holes feed just as well and is much less likely to drip or spill.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Great idea - I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks

Remove the entrance reducer. Reduce the entrance with screen or #8 hardware cloth. This will confuse the robbers and is much more effective than just reducing the entrance. make it just wide enough for one bee.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF