Default Hive manipulation...Shallow on bottom full of brood!

Well last year in my frenzy of catching swarms, I ran out of deeps and housed a swarm in a shallow super...

Skip forward a year, and it now has a deep above it full of honey and some brood, polen etc. I really want to get rid of the shallow and replace it with a deep, thus having 2 deeps like the rest of my hives. Whats the best way of going about this? Sadly im out of drawn deep frames. Only have frames with foundation.

Can i take the shallow and brood and just place it on top of the 2 deeps and let the queen work her way down, or is there a better way?

Thanks, jon

Default Re: Hive manipulation...Shallow on bottom full of brood!

You could make sure the queen is in one of the deeps or move her, then put an excluder between the shallow and the deep above. Once the brood is hatched, remove the shallow.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Default Re: Hive manipulation...Shallow on bottom full of brood!

Bees like to work their way up, not down. An option for you would be to use a queen excluder. Place the queen excluder between the shallow and the deep. Make sure the queen is in the deep. Add the new deep to the top. The brood in the shallow will emerge and move up. Since the queen can't get back into the shallow, she can't lay it back up. After a month you'll be able to remove the shallow because all the brood will have emerged. You will most likely need to feed to stimulate the bees to draw out the foundation in the second deep brood chamber.

Wisnewbee