Default Inner cover placement with a top feeder?

My search-fu is not functioning today it seems. My first bees will be showing up in about 3 weeks, so I have no practical knowledge of what's about to happen, only anecdotal education.

I will be using the Mann Lake top feeders: The FD-110 plastic one, not the Baggie

(Not interested in a discussion of what to use, these are sitting in my garage.)

When I put these on the hives, do I place an inner cover between the brood and the feeder, or leave the inner cover out of the mix entirely until the feeders are removed?

Default Re: Inner cover placement with a top feeder?

I leave the inner cover out when using a hive top feeder.

Peter

I built a similar Miller style feeder from Beesource plans in the Build It Yourself section. The feeder is intended to sit on the top of the uppermost hive body, and inner cover is not used with the feeder.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You don't need the inner cover, but if you put it under the feeder the bees will build less drone comb inside the feeder.

PS if you damage the black plastic ABS glue will fix it. Don't ask how I know this.

Also I silicone around the edges of the screen, some of the gaps are large enough for bees to squeeze through.
    Dan

Without the inner cover, doesn't ventilation suffer?
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    You don't need the inner cover, but if you put it under the feeder the bees will build less drone comb inside the feeder.
    I was thinking about filling the inside with expanding foam and just running a track up to the tray openings. I'll see how they handle it this year. This is the learning experience year.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Also I silicone around the edges of the screen, some of the gaps are large enough for bees to squeeze through.
    I just learned this the hard way.

I have just had a experience with this same thing your facing. I did not use a inner cover with the Mann Lake top feeder, and my new cover starting molding (starting) i took the feeder off for right now. But when i put it back on im going to put screen over my inner cover vent. I origionally didnt want bees to come in from my top cover vent only to drown in the syrup. I say put it back on and just make sure that dado that i made has a little screen over it just to make sure it is venting BUT not letting bees enter. Or i could glue come match sticks in under my cover to lift it just a tad for ventilation. Just my thoughts. I just knew someone else would have this problem as well.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

You could used a screened inner cover/moving screen instead of the solid inner cover if you are worried about ventilation.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/373/

I'd leave it out. If it has a notch in it, I would definitely leave it out... if you have a notch and you put it on top, the robbers will come in the top and drown by the thousands...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF