Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's your plan to rebuild your hive #'s from winter losses?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Southern raised queens are not as bad at northern wintering as many people want to think,
    My experience this winter supports this statement.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

>Southern raised queens are not as bad at northern wintering as many people want to think,

Some are. Some are not. All in all, I don't like the odds.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I scorch as a precautionary measure, a lot of my eq. was bought used. no foul brood ever. I did have a few deadouts w/mice & their droppings. some of my frames had slight wax moth webbing.
    My mentor used a 50/50 bleach solution on all drawn comb going out after sitting a while.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Replace with nucs and swarms.
    I'd let the new bees clean out the deadouts.
    If I could rule out disease, I wouldn't do anything to the equipment before using again. Chemical free.

Mites cause a lot of deadouts I'm discovering, and it's important to do some sort of effective measurement of mite load before and after treatment to avoid the dead-outs.

Screen bottom boards with a sticky board will let you know if you have a serious problem very quickly -- wipe the board, put it back in, come back in two days, count the dead mites. If you have any significant numbers, treat. If not, then you should do a powdered sugar dusting and re-count, or a powdered sugar or ether roll.

If you've got significant numbers of mites in August/September, it's highly likely you will lose the hive over winter, so a treatment of some sort is called for. I will by using formic acid if I need to this year, or oxalic acid vapor, as I believe those are the least toxic and most effective. Will try HopGuard if it's available for the same reason.

It's probably not possible to completely eliminate the mites, but it is vital to reduce the levels down to the point where enough healthy, non-parasitized winter bees are present in the hive to over-winter well.

Protein nutrition is critical too, and you will have to check the amount of pollen available in the hives in August/Septemeber for the same reasons. If the winter bees are protein deficient, they die when they start raising brood in late winter and the hive dwindles out.

Peter

I bought a sifter to do dusting & I expect to do that.

Anyone use a vegetable oil to trap mites?

What's your plan for low pollen stores late fall?
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!