Default hello from NAlabama

I 'm a newbee, and I have been soaking up your knowledge on keeping bees for about a year. I have also been expermenting with things that you shouldn't do as a beekeeper. Like, cracking open the top at dusk to take a look inside without a smoker. And, yesterday when it was 35decrees I put in a new gallon zip-lock bag of sugar. The old bag was empty, and had alot of bees on it. I just sit the old empty bag, and bees in front of the hive. They will just crawl back into the warm hive right? Wrong they will freeze to dealt in front of the hive. So I will never open a hive at dusk, and I will never remove bees from the hive when the temperture is below 50. So, hello from NAlabama.

Default Re: hello from NAlabama

welcome dp!

did you bees get out today? any pollen coming in?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    welcome dp!

did you bees get out today? any pollen coming in?
    Yes, they were very busy today. Even my weak hive was bringing in pollen.

excellent. looks like our weather might finally be straightening up. you should have a pretty good nectar flow there in killen for the next 2-3 months.

squarepeg and dphillipm

I installed a new package on the 18th. Queen was not released two days ago but candy looked almost gone. I went ahead and poked a small hole to hopefully help finish that up. In my quick observation due to the cold, there didn't appear to be much new comb drawn other than some in the space between the frames that the queen cage has created. What should I do? If the queen is released now, which I don't know, will she have anywhere to start laying eggs? If not, am I about to lose my package? Also, I noticed aout 5-6 dead bees at entrance this eve.
    Lastly, it will be Saturday before I can inspect again. If she is out and laying what do I do about the comb built in the space created by the cage. Simply tear it out?

Thanks for any help I can get!

hey matt. dora's not far from jackson county, and i haven't seen any new comb drawn yet this spring. i think it has just been too cold so far, but with the warm up it shouldn't be long before wax making begins in earnest.

i'm not expert, and i have never installed a package. so take all of this with a grain of salt.

i think you did the right thing by opening the hole up. after the ten days you could have probably just released her. i bet she be in the colony by saturday. looks like they are feeding her.

they'll be alright for the short term without any brood, bees naturally go broodless at different times of the year as part of their cycle.

i don't usually feed syrup, but if you want to help them draw comb, you could put some syrup out in the yard just to get them started. there should be enough nectar coming in soon so that you won't have to keep feeding them.

i have had good success with the quail feeders for giving syrup. you can get one at the tractor supply store for just a few bucks. tip: put a little steel wool in the hole at the bottom or the bees will push each other into the jar and a few will drown.

i put them out on the warm flying days, a quart at a time is enough. and once they get some comb going i would probably stop feeding syrup and let them forage for the good stuff, it's a lot better for them.

when i do mix syrup, i add vitamin c to it to reduce the ph. it's supposed to be healthier for the bees. about 1000 mg to the gallon is what i have been using, and the ratio of 5 parts sugar to 3 parts water works pretty good. (credit to michael bush for these suggestions).

good luck.