Default Getting ready to start my 1st ever hive. Have a question about feeding.

I live in north central Missouri and am starting my 1st ever hive. I have my hive all ready to be put out and my package bees should arrive in the middle of April. As far as you can see where I live is row crop country. The biggest question I have right now is about feeding right after my bees arrive. I have 2 boardman entrance feeders, but have been reading a lot of people do not recommend this type. Since I have 2 boardman's could I put both at the entrance at same time? Just use 1 at entrance? Use 1 at entrance and put 1 on top of inner cover hole with next box around and outer cover on top?

Default Re: Getting ready to start my 1st ever hive. Have a question about feeding.

The more I read about the entrance feeders, the main concern is robbing from other bee's. I don't know how big of a concern that would be for my area. We really don't have many bee's in our area.

Default Re: Getting ready to start my 1st ever hive. Have a question about feeding.

Check your private messages

Welcome to Beesource!

If you want to use both feeders on top of the hive, set them both on top of the inner cover, to the side of the hole, and leave the hole open so the bees can get through the hole to access the feeders. This method will also keep the syrup warmer than having the feeders at the entrance. Of course, you still need to protect the feeders with an empty box and lid.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Next option is the Mann Lake top feeder. That sounds like might be better than the boardman entrance

Quote Originally Posted by josh78 View Post
    Next option is the Mann Lake top feeder. That sounds like might be better than the boardman entrance
    I love me some mann lake, just placed a 2k+ order with them, but the feeders from Brushy Mountain with floats don't kill near as many bees as the mann lake top feeders. The baggie method kills even less but I can't get the bees to consume as much using that method.

I like the plastic molded feeders from Kelley Bees in Kentucky. No drowned bees, and you can fill them by just removing the cover because the bees are screened inside.

A pair of Boardman feeders will be OK for one hive, just use them under the top cover inside an empty box instead of the entrance. Make sure there is no way for strangers to get in without going through the hive, else you can still have robbing problems.

Consider some pollen patties as well -- half a pound of protein supplement will help quite a bit in getting your package started, and the faster they get established the better things will be.

Peter

I staple #8 (1/8") screen over the holes in my inner covers (I drill an extra 2-7/8" (70mm) hole). I like to contain the bees below the inner cover when I'm not inspecting them. I feed with quart mason jars that sit on the screen. With the screen in place I can replace or remove jars without bees flying up at me and without a wad of bees hanging off the lid of the jar when I lift it. That's just the way I do it. Don't forget to cover the enclose the jars and inner cover with an empty box and your outer cover.

Ed