Default Where to get metal for covers?

Ok all you build it yourself people. What do you use for metal on Tele covers you make? Where do you normally get it? And how do you bend the sides down?

Default Re: Where to get metal for covers?

I buy 24" by 50 ft roll of flashing at a local lumber yard.

Check out this thread for how I bend it. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...g-outer-covers
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I get my aluminum 24"x 50 ft. coil at a siding and roofing place, and I bend it using the same method that ralittlefield suggested, it works very well with nice crisp corner bends. John

Aluminum trim coil that has been painted white from the factory. Quality edge brand. You can find it at most siding supply warehouses. 80.00 or so.
    If you only need a couple, contact a local siding crew. They should be able to help you out with "leftovers" from jobs. They may even bend you up a couple for a six pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut it length and bend with my fingers.

I watch "craigslist" and buy it cheap IF I can, I found some last fall 24"x50` for 35 bux a roll and I have a pan/box break to bned it with.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I used galvanized steel commonly used for HVAC. HD doesn;t carry large flat stock, but Lowe's does. I bent it by hand after scribing a straight line where i wanted the bends to be. i used a nail as a scribe for this. The aluminum will be easier to bend, but i had no trouble with the thin steel sheet.

I buy a 20" x 10' roll of aluminum flashing at our local lumber store (in the roofing supplies area). My homemade covers are usually not quite square, so it works best for me to just bend by hand and staple right on the cover. Goes fast, I figure about a dollar per cover this way.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Better bee has just the metal pans . That work great if you limited for time. They are about $7.00 each and you have to buy 10

Dadant will sell just the steel part. Make sure you make your roofs to there dimensions. We bought around 100 and where very pleased with the way they fit.

Crazy Roland

Here in So California we do not need much protection from the rain. Also - I am very small scale, just 3 hives... thus, I do not use metal on top covers - I just place a piece of something (plastic, metal) on top when needed (usually 2-3 times per year ). For my other bee-related projects, I am using a thin galvanized sheet metal from HomeDepot. It is thin enough that I could use strong but ordinary scissors to cut it (well, scissors will be ruined after that...). If I would need to put metal on top cover, I would cut metal to the size, place actual cover in the center and bent metal around the top cover by hands using piece of wood to make bent more straight. Top cover functions as a guide. This way, I made oil trays. I do not know how thick metal is, but you should be able to bend it with fingers.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    They should be able to help you out with "leftovers" from jobs. They may even bend you up a couple for a six pack.
    Sometimes a jar of honey works better than a six pack. HA!!! Keep both on hand, just in case.

cchoganjr

I use white 45 mil TPO roll roofing material instead of metal.

Cuts with sizzors, and is plyable to bend around corners. I just staple the sides over.

Flat roofing companies alway have plenty of scraps you can get for free.

Here is what the TPO looks like:

Don

I haves used heavy vinyl and stapled it on also, worked great. I also visit the local scrap yard and sometimes can find used signs made of aluminum that measure 4 or 5 feet by 8 feet. I can buy them cheap. The last trip I was able to buy 10 signs for $150.