Default keeper activities

What are the normal beekeeping activities at this time of the year in New England?

Default Re: keeper activities

Go out on a warm day and enjoy watching them fly...
    Repair whatever equipment you haven't fixed yet...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Inventory your gear and make sure you have enough of everything ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg Watch this while counting down the days to real spring.

learn more about beekeeping http://umaine.edu/cumberland/program...eping-courses/

gear up for next season: shop for equipment, mating nucs, etc
    clean up the bee shed

Check colonies on warm days for feed: http://mainebeekeepers.org/the-beeke...ar/march-2013/

Build equipment like crazy. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Overla...1644575?ref=hl
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

I'm in the sunny southland relative to New England, but I'm making boxes and frames for the splits I intend to make and the swarms I hope to catch. Made a batch of top bars from some yellow pine 2x10s last night and finished a few tonight for some off sized end bars I had lying around, and they work really well. Might have to go get a couple more 8 foot 2x10s this week!

Need to get going on bases, tops, and inner covers soon, once garden season starts I won't have time.

Peter

first day 50 degrees or higher(probably this weekend) with no wind and preferable sunny, take the hive down to the bottom board and clean it, don't remove any frames. It allows you to evaluate the weight of the honey, and the cluster size, you can also remove mouse guards as the mice have already found homes.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

What Michael and Erin said. Because of my day job, I won't unstrap the hives and seriously look at them until after April 15. I have been working on equipment, continuing my beekeeping education, ordered queens for summer splits - things like that. Grant Gillard has some excellent eBooks available on Amazon for seriously inexpensive money (like $1.99)
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Can beekeeping be done on the southeast SHORE of Massachusetts? Our 3 acre lot is on a tidal pond, about 1000 feet from the ocean. A circle of 5 mile radius around the planned hive would be 50% on the water, the other half on land with not a great deal of agriculture, outside of a few acres of seasonal feed corn. I am concerned that a hive would have to survive tough coastal winter weather AND scarce food sources. If the only way to have the bees survive is artificial feedings, perhaps we should just support other more inland beekeepers?

Welcome to Beesource
    >Can beekeeping be done on the southeast SHORE of Massachusetts?

They successfully raise bees on roof tops in cities of concrete. I am sure your area has more to offer.

New beek should start with at least two hives.

You'll need to look at what there is available for forage in your area. Depending on where you are a good 50% of the area the bees could forage in may be under water. That is not to say give up all hope. I've kept bees as close as a 1/4 mile from a harbor much further north than you. It can be done. You will want to give the hives protection from wind and weather off of the water. If the available forage is as poor as you seem to think, it may be well to find some land further inland. When I first got into beekeeping I kept a hive along side a friend's, on land owned by a third friend.

PS - my wife is from Westport - Drift Rd.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Catch and mark queens, make another round of splits, finish extracting orange blosom that needed drying, watch hives for swarming and super for the next flow. Weedwack around hives and open entrances a little bit before it gets too hot. Add suntan lotion to outyard equipment.

I'm not sure if your weather is like here but that's what I'm doing!!!

I drink beer, watch some TV and hang around on Beesource here in New England this time of year
    Think about it....Buy American