Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hive 300 feet from house?

I'm hopeing to get some bees but I don't have much space. I could put them about 250 - 300 feet from my house,in an area that they would be bothered some but not much. would this be to close to my house?

Default Re: hive 300 feet from house?

NO
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

My house doesn't bother the bees at all. They sure get mad at me though. Two of my hives are within 20 feet of my house.

Ted

My backyard hives are within 15 metres of the house. Just need to make sure your bees are a quiet strain.
    Cheers
    Rob

No problem at all. More important is whether you can easily work the colonies there, whether it's s suitable site, and whether there will be "problems" there. Will kids bounce rocks off them? Do you have to use a gas-powered weed trimmer through there? Does the neighbor's children hang out there when you'll want to work the bees? Are there horses? Cows that will knock them over?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

thanks. I guess I do sometimes cut my firewood close to there

I wouldn't worry about splitting wood. Even a chainsaw or power splitter if you can be 20+ feet away (and of course out of their flightpath, not in front of the entrance) you will be fine. If I had 300' in ANY direction in my yard I'd have a lot more hives here and a lot fewer outyards!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

HEY ! the bees are first. it will be fine.
    thats the way i roll.

Quote Originally Posted by bee123 View Post
    I'm hopeing to get some bees but I don't have much space. I could put them about 250 - 300 feet from my house,in an area that they would be bothered some but not much. would this be to close to my house?
    I have 15 hives lined up along the edge of my back porch (under it). So 250+ feet should be far enough.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

I've had them 10 feet from my door and was perfectly happy with them. I've had them 100 yards from the door and they were too close... but then I requeened...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have one hive 5 ft. from my front door on my front porch, facing away from the door. Only once in 2 years I had an overzealous young guard decide I was in her space. She buzzed me coming in from work for 2 days and on the 3rd day dove into my hair and nailed me. That was her last hurrah. I figure out of 60,000 residents, at least one is gonna be violent. Luckily, unlike humans, they quickly get their due and the world is rid of them. Problem solved.

my two hives are 30-feet from backyard no problem yet

As we've got a similar forum name I should answer your question.

Our first bees were only about 30ft from the back wall of our house. After the first year I moved new splits further away, mainly because the neighbours installed a barbecue quite near them and I didn't want any problems. They're all now about 100 yards from the house, but aren't as easy to see from indoors - you'll want to watch them closely at first, binoculars are good.

It (as numerous people have said) will be fine, I have two, one ~20' from the back stairs and the other about 100' away. Your biggest concern might end up being fluorescent outdoor lights in the evening. Though to be honest I have yet to see any bees near the light for my back stairs.....

Oh the best bit with them being this close, being able to go and watch them fly when ever I want :-)

One thing you can do to help your situation is to put the entrance to the hives opening away from the house. Even if it is twards a wall, the bees will just fly up and away (give them a foot or so flying room). Most times, if the bees at the entrance (guard bees) don't see you, they don't bother you. My 3 hives are about 15 feet from the house opening to a block wall and I have no problems with them as their flight path to and from the hive is over my head.

Nope. Not usually a problem. If the sun was right, I'd have them next to the garage.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Mine are about ten feet from my house, right next to my front door. No problems.

that's the truth with two boys myself ...........................

My home hive is 15 yards from my back deck. I love my bees to be close. I can sit and watch them for hours. At times, my grandkids and I will set up lawn chairs about ten feet from the hive, and we watch them come and go. They love it too.
    No one famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    Mine are about ten feet from my house, right next to my front door. No problems.
    Love that idea. Best way to keep all the unwanted sales people and other rift raff from knocking on the door.