Default Does cedar repel wax moths, beetles, mites ect

I met a neighbor for the first time today. He has a band saw mill. Very cheap very accurate. He loves cedar just not enough to not sell it cheap. I can make bee boxes for about 8 bucks a box in materials. My thought is if cedar repels clothing moths why not wax moths and other bee pests?

Default Re: Does cedar repel wax moths, beetles, mites ect

I would not rely on cedar to repel pests. If it did, it might also repel bees.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I have cedar deeps. They do not repel SHB or wax moths.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

It is only the heart wood that has the toxins to repel pests. The rest of the wood is no better than pine. If you like the look then go for it but if the lumber is just slabbed off it won't last any longer than pine. The bees are going to propolise the inside. That would be like you taking your cedar chest and putting polyurethane on the inside. I don't recommend that if you are trying to keep the moths out.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I used to make boxes from scraps and I had various kinds of cedar. None of them repelled wax moths. I can't say about SHB as I've never had enough of an issue with them to have an opinion, but I would not expect it to matter. It also made no difference on Varroa...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael did you keep to just heartwood cedar. the boxes i am making are really red cedar. Is it not intriguing to see how the wood goes from blond to deep red as the tree grows?

I made some boxes out of red virginia cedar. Nice wood that weathers well. The bees eventually coat the inside of their home with propolis etc. So, the cedar essence is negated/covered in my experience.
    Rick

I used all kinds of cedar. The kind that is siding (probably western red cedar), the aromatic kind that they make closets out of. etc. None made a difference in wax moths or Varroa.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF