Default insulating nuc to feed

I am installing packages this weekend and i have never used packages before , only nucs . I have 5 frame nuc boxes with a second deep to cover the jar for feeding , should i use any foam insulation and cut out a hole for the syrup , with a shim for the pollen patty ? or just put the jar on the frames and patty beside it ?
    I have been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks and can't decide . It's getting close to decision time

They will be 2 pounds of bees from Australia .

Thanks
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: insulating nuc to feed

all you need to worry about for the first week is getting that package settled and get the queen laying,
    A frame of honey is good, I also use a frame feeder near the cluster.
    If you have any insulation for the top, that would help them, and feeder jar works great through a hole up top,
    Dont worry about covering the jar or anything like that,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I thought the syrup would stay warmer if it was inside the hive ? So you think i should cut holes in my covers to feed?
    Nova Scotia Canada

depends on what your trying to do,
    a frame of honey does wonders,
    syrup is a good idea, why not use an inner feeder?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I have no honey to give them. I don't have any inner feeders either , I am trying to go by some Beekeepers suggestions and most of what i hear is that inner feeders aren't good to use , I don't know why i haven't used one myself , so i wouldn't be able to say anything bad about them : ) I guess it must be because they drown easy ?
    I can always buy some i guess.

Do you use them ? if so what kind ? i buy most everything from Beemaid
    Nova Scotia Canada

the boys in California use inner feeders

I dont want to confuse your question any,

all Im kind of suggesting is when you shake your package in, place the insulation over the box. dont place an empty box over them. they will do better without all that air space above them
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ben do you have drawn frames? Fill the frames with syrup, same as inner feeder but more work. I know work is not a problem for you.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

that sounds like a good idea but I tried that with complete failure one time. That method works when a hive is established and your replacing an empty with full frame of syrup, but when doing this with packages, the bees try to cluster over the wet frame, get wet and die.
    If you waited until after you hived your package, pulled a near by frame and replaced it with a filled frame,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

yeah i was hoping to be able to put the second box on them , but it worried me about the air space , so that was my main issue. I don't know if i should just cut a hole and feed through the top cover or what . I will have to figure it out tomorrow , the bees from Australia are coming in 2 shipments and mine are on the second one , so i will have them for sunday installation , which is better weather.
    If i cut a hole in the top cover , what is the best thing to put in the hole once the feeding jar is removed ?
    Nova Scotia Canada

Vegetable can lids stapled on owrk great and come off easy when you need the hole again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    yeah i was hoping to be able to put the second box on them , but it worried me about the air space , so that was my main issue. I don't know if i should just cut a hole and feed through the top cover or what . I will have to figure it out tomorrow , the bees from Australia are coming in 2 shipments and mine are on the second one , so i will have them for sunday installation , which is better weather.
    If i cut a hole in the top cover , what is the best thing to put in the hole once the feeding jar is removed ?

I use covers with holes cut into the top just for this reason, then I plug it with a Bung, works great. You can buy that from BeeMaid,
    Just, some people dont like cutting holes in their equipment, works for me

When I hive my packages, I usually like doing it when they are not flying. So on a coolish day, I can hive all day, on a warmish day, I hive in the evening. You will find drifting gets bad when the bees can fly immediately from the entrances after shaking them in. Carry a spritzer bottle of water/syrup to spray them down to stop them from flying during hiving.

good luck
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thanks, this has been very helpful. I know what i have to do now , get a hole saw LOL.
    Nova Scotia Canada

if you save the piece you cut out and tack a piece of sheet metal to it (such as a tin can lid) the result will be a nice lid to plug the hole later.
    Bill

No need to cut a hole on the outer cover. Use baggy one gallon zip loc bag to feed them syrup.
    Just raise the hive 2" more to accommodate the 2 baggies of syrup. You can use the same syrup from the can too to fill the
    zip loc bag. Another way is to use a honey super box to put manila papers or a plastic sheet cut with slits then put the same
    baggie feeder on the hive. The manila papers will fill up the airspace in the super box. The plastic sheet is so the warm air
    from the bees cannot escape out to keep them warm. You can cut a small cardboard to support the zip loc baggie if you want to.
    you tube has the vids too of the baggie inside feeder. Also, don't forget the patty as well. They need all resources to build up well and make the combs too.

Why do you have to do anything to the hole in the cover, I don't?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I will be using Mason Jars for feeding and I was wondering what size hole to cut out for them ? Should it be big enough for the Jar to sit down in to the lip , or smaller so the jar covers the hole and sits on top ?
    Nova Scotia Canada

my holes are 1 1/4 ", many use a 2" hole. I have seen beekeepers cut the hole to the same size of their feeding jar so it fits nicely into the hole and will not blow off. as long as you have the holes over the hole, the bees will get the syrup
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    that sounds like a good idea but I tried that with complete failure one time. That method works when a hive is established and your replacing an empty with full frame of syrup, but when doing this with packages, the bees try to cluster over the wet frame, get wet and die.
    If you waited until after you hived your package, pulled a near by frame and replaced it with a filled frame,
    I think Ben is a nuc with 2Lbs of bees. I'm thinking it would not have to be very cold before bees would not take from overhead as they will not put out much extra heat. But then I have no experience with 2 lbs. My concern would be after there is brood and if it turns cold.
    How long after install could refilled frames be added? 2 hours, 8 hours ,a day ? I do not see any reason other than time to not use more than one feeding method.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

id say a day or so, when the package establishes its cluster, then you could pull an empty frame, fill it with syrup and place it near the cluster.
    www.stepplerfarms.com