Thread: Queen problem?

Hybrid View

Default Queen problem?

I installed a nuc in my first hive a week ago. Yesterday I went through the hive frame by frame. There are a ton of bees, I found the queen (pic below), and they're bringing in lots of pollen. I'm going foundationless, and they're drawing out the two empty frames really well, and building the comb right down the center of my triangular comb guides. But I didn't see any eggs or open brood. Should I be worried?

queenhive1.jpg

Default Re: Queen problem?

A proper nuc, in my opinion, comes with a queen who has already been producing brood in the colony. There are a few nuc suppliers who will take some frames of bees, brood, etc, then introduce a new queen….and as soon as she has been accepted will sell the nuc.
    If your queen is part of a proper nuc, I would be concerned that she stopped laying.
    If your queen is newly introduced and may have been banked…it might take a week or so for her to restart.
    Give ‘em another week….look closely and if she’s still not laying, contact the seller.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Time to worry. She should have been laying and there should be at the very least.. eggs.

There's plenty of open cells?

With her crawling a honey frame, they may be honey-bound. They may be filling open cells as fast as they are made if they dont have enough room...

with a nuc there should be eggs and larve or you got mislead.....is there capped brood???