Default Coil Stock for top cover

Can't seem to find anyone cutting and selling 24 '' coil stock by the foot , even home depot and lowes won't cut it , where are you guys getting it . Also is there any preference to the bare alum. silver over the white as far as heat goes.

Default Re: Coil Stock for top cover

Laketrout,

I switched to white from silver. I spoke with a guy in our bee club and according to his data white was cooler. I bought mine from Menards, they had rolls of several different widths and lengths, it's easy to cut with a tin snips and bend over a bench top, piece of wood, etc. Good luck. Thanks.

Bryan

I don't think you'll find anyone selling it by the foot. Perhaps check with a couple of beekeeping supply co's as they may sell individual pieces.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I've found 20' rolls of silver colored aluminum flashing at my local lumber yard. That would make about 10 ten frame covers. I cut mine two or three times with a utility knife then bent it until it snapped, it worked very well.

Steve

Cuts better with strait edge and utility knife, run your knife along strait edge then bend the metal backward, breaks right apart. You have a good clean cut this way. This will work to help bend the edges over, just don't cut as deep and bend toward your strait edge.

Finally found it 2.99 a foot at coles hardware , kind of pricey , compared to 1.60 by the roll.

> kind of pricey , compared to 1.60 by the roll

From The Scottish Gardener, Horticulture and Floriculture, Volume 15, published 1866
    ... bees teach us many lessons of economy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LeB...ons%22&f=false
    After you have bought few more feet of this metal, you may wish that you had just bought the whole roll initially.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Most BIG box stores have it in 10` rolls too.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I usually pick it up as scrap from construction sites. Usually I can get any length I want from a siding guy for a little more than what he paid for it if I need a longer piece. The 100 ft rolls are all my local Lowes and Menards carry.

I have been using the scrap to cover the nuc lids. Longer stuff for the hives.