Default Michael Palmer nuc plans.

I am looking for info on how to build the nuc and frame feeders MP talks about in the vids. How are the feeders sealed. I am new at bees and woodworking so any help would be great. Thanks

Default Re: Michael Palmer nuc plans.

For the frame feeders, I use the 1" sponges. Sponge is easy to work with. Can be cut with a pair of scissors.
    Then put them together and all wrapped with a clear big plastic bag. The slit cut into the sponges will make an
    area to hold the syrup. I use a gallon plastic bag to hold the syrup in. A wick with cotton on top will drawl the
    water out for the bees to sip. This way there is not drowning of the bees. No water is leaking out either.

l staple a screen to a 2 inch frame put the frame up against the tops of the mini frames then a jar with 3 very tiny holes punched in the cover. only problem the sugar eats the holes larger and covers must be replaced, when the holes get to large the sugar water runs out and kills any brood below. incites robbing also lost a queen that way!

Thanks for the help. Im trying to make the feeders MP uses to divide a 10 deep into two 4 frame nucs.

There is a divided nuc with a feeder in the middle at this website, check it out and see if it is what you are looking for.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~reute001/Plans.html
    Your inferiority complex is better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by firebug View Post
    I am looking for info on how to build the nuc and frame feeders MP talks about in the vids. How are the feeders sealed. I am new at bees and woodworking so any help would be great. Thanks
    A few years ago someone on here posted a pdf of plans. Try searching the forum or PM me and I can email it to you. I have never used it, but I do have this pdf somewhere.
    karla

Look at Jay Smith's nucleus and feeders (page 48), they work very well!!!

http://archive.org/stream/queenreari...ge/48/mode/2up

My Jumbo nucleus hive with division board in center. Lower entrance for one side and top entrance for other side.

Feeder board, can feed both nucleus.

How do you work these nucs ? When you remove the top cover of a divided hive wont you have a good chance of queens entering the side she is not supposed to be on?

Not really. Your queens should be around their perspective brood nest, not malingering with another colony. Besides have you ever noticed queens try to hide from light?

Think about it....Buy American

What I remember, the way I remember his feeders. Never built, never saw more than pictures. They are tight fit and serve as a movable divider. Do not fit in a special groove. Have a center divider with side to side drainage, a side entrance for each nuc, just a hole. No ladder other than what the bees add.
    My memory is just glue to seal edges.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.