Default I'm going to try Grafting tomorrow. how to preserve the frame

My bee yard about a quarter mile from my house. I plan to try grafting eggs tomorrow is there any instructions on transporting the frame to my house?

Default Re: I'm going to try Grafting tomorrow. how to preserve the frame

Cover it with a damp towel, do not place in the sunlight, keep it hive temp (don't turn on your ac in the car) and drive fast! Same thing on the return trip to place the grafting bar back in a hive. Also, you're not grafting eggs.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

You can't really graft eggs. You should focus on grafting the youngest larvae possible, those recently hatched from their eggs.

I recommend against transporting the larva to be grafted. I believe you will have a most unsatisfying experience if you do as you plan. Simply, find a nice shady spot, right next to the donor and cell builder colonies, and graft there. Any delay between removing the larvae from the donor colony and placing them in the cell builder colony, especially involving transporting, will compound the difficulties associated with the grafting process. The damp towel is also a very good idea, as mentioned by the previous poster. You can cover each grafted larva with the towel as you graft them, protecting them from drying, until the entire bar is finished.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Cover it with a damp towel, do not place in the sunlight, keep it hive temp (don't turn on your ac in the car) and drive fast! Same thing on the return trip to place the grafting bar back in a hive. Also, you're not grafting eggs.......
    Grafting larvae.. thank you for your reply

thank you

I grafted 240 cells on site at the bee yard, covered them with a wet paper towel and transported them 30 miles to my home yard to place them in a starter colony after another stop that last two hours. I thought none of them would make it, but 64 queen cells were capped within a few days out of that batch.

I'd put two frames and adhering bees in a small nuc box, transport them home. Let the bees keep the larva warm and moist. When you get home and are ready to graft, gently brush off the bees the graft frame into the nuc box with a receiving frame, unless you have a hive at your place. If it is cold out a simple disposable hand warmer in the bottom of the box will keep them toasty.
    I had an incubator going with chicken eggs when the power went out one winter. I put a large hand warmer in there and it kept the temp about 92 degrees for 12+ hours.

Hand warmers work wonders if you have a rabbit kindle during a cold spell. Put the hand warmer deep under the nest material and the warmth will keep the newborn Kits from freezing.