Default Double deep and super full of drone brood

Every year that I keep bees I seem to see something new. This year a new first is a hive that is full of drone brood. The hive requeened itself back in April. I identified and marked the new queen a couple of weeks ago, placed her in the bottom deep, placed an excluder over that and added the second deep that had a lot of honey and a super. Now the whole hive is full of drone brood except there are three or four frames of worker brood that has some drone cells mixed in. I don't believe the queen is slipping above the excluder. I'm thinking that the hive is full of laying workers along with the queen. Unfortunately, they have used all their resources feeding 25 frames of drone brood. I pulled the upper two boxes, shook the bees out and will let the cold kill the drone brood. I'm not sure what else I can do other than watch and wait to see if the drone laying disappears as the queen establishes herself. It's going to be interesting to see.

Default Re: Double deep and super full of drone brood

This is fascinating! Just a few days ago Joseph Clemens was wondering about drone-laying workers as an explanation for the non-Cordovan drones appearing in his otherwise-Cordovan hives. Your experience suggests he may have hit on something!

Wow! I learn such interesting stuff on here!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

are you sure? I haven't ever heard of a problem like that.. is it possible the eggs for the drones were already laid before???
    As for killing them, a capping scratcher is the perfect tool takes a cpl seconds!

It's a unique situation unlike anything I have seen on the scale I am seeing it. Even a good queen couldn't lay the amount of total uncapped brood and eggs that are in this hive over 7 days. I marked the queen before she mated and she's still there. It is quite an enigma. The closest thing I have seen is a hive that I had last year that swarmed and the virgin queen went back into the hive next to it leaving it queenless. I added a queen cell when I caught on to what had happened but some laying workers developed before the new queen started laying. After a while they competed for space but eventually they went away. But that was not on the scale I see in this hive plus this hive never was queenless. I'm wondering if her pheremones are not sufficient to impede the development of laying workers.