Thread: Caught out!!

Hybrid View

Default Caught out!!

So far my bees in the backyard have been doing REALLY well but when I checked them on Thursday they were breaking open their honey stores! Its been really warm and dry here for the past month when it should be cooling down and wetter but its not normal.......

Anyway, any flow we had before is well and truely gone but the bees are super active with the warm temperatures and as a consequence they are chewing up their winter supplies at a great rate.

Started feeding them on Saturday morning with a baggie feeder and its brilliant. Not a bee drowned or lost so far and they have chewed through 5kg of sugar. With the baggie feeder I have found its important to watch when they are finished so you can get the bees out of the bag or they will surely die in there if left - easy in a backyard hive. Other than that they are fantastic compared to the other types I have used previously.

Anyway, they are off and running again and pulling in lots of pollen so things are on the up and up.

Glad to see no beetles at all in the hive this time
    Cheers
    Rob

Default Re: Caught out!!

The baggies do seem miraculous after watching bees drown by the cup full in a lot of feeders. The price is right too. Occaisionally I have bees get in when the bag is dry. If you make the slits shorter, they can't get in so easy.

I always wondered how bees could completely empty a baggie so I did a little experiment on my patio. There were 3 slits in the baggie and after it was nearly empty, they went inside to finish up. You can see them lined up inside where a little syrup remains.

Feeding.jpg

I think that is when they are most at risk. On a hot day they will soon die in the bag if it is left in the hive for any period. Other than that its a simple, brilliant feeder.
    Cheers
    Rob

Yep, I like baggie too. Last time a gallon baggie drowned 40 bees inside with a single
    cut that I think made the wrong cut. An improved no drowning version inside feeder all
    lined up with baggies on the top too. Bees can walk on top of the baggie if they want to.
    Honey and syrup mixture enough to feed one day or 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's the white stuff in the photos Beepro?
    Cheers
    Rob

Hey wonder if you could put some of those marbles in the baggy to help it not collapse, when it is emptied? I have never tried baggies, but I think I will now, what a cool idea
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." year 3, 12 langs and 2 top bars
    www.4cornersbeekeepers.com