Default Getting back into the game

After almost 30 years, I'm getting back into beekeeping. I had 200 hives at my peak (In my young 20's) Now at 50 I want hives again.New pests are a huge problem. I've been reading non-stop for 3 weeks. In a small operation (10 hives)would you go with 100% screened bottom boards? I'm in SW Ontario, how much winter cover is too much? I have a ton of questions. NY, Mi beekepers info would be appreciated as well as Ontario.

Default Re: Getting back into the game

welcome. 200 ya don't say!
    thats the way i roll.

My packing business was most of my revenue back then...I see those rules have gotten stiffer too. Good thing I love a challenge.

Our situations are similiar. I had 300 hives and packed and sold about a third of it at farmers markets. I just started back up two years ago and am learning the joys of Varroa Destructor. Knowing what your mite count is will keep your bees alive. Now Screened bottom boards. Are you North of latitude 47.47? I am just; where I am and think the proper place for a sbb is in the fire. Champion brood chillers and religious artifact for many. Now a bottom board designed to allow the placement of a sticky board under a screen is a good thing! You can track your mite population that way. Other than that, my bees biggest challenge is keeping brood warm so bees can emerge and keep even more brood warm! My night time temperatures will be in the forties all summer until the dog days in August and early September when night temps are warmer. Why do I need a huge draft in the bottom? I have just spoken heresy to many, but take it for what you paid for it my friend.