Hybrid View

Default New Warre Pics

New Warre Hive pics.
    http://s683.photobucket.com/user/hdi...y/warre?page=1

Have some more work to do.

Default Re: New Warre Pics

Why is it disguised as a Langstroth?

It's not, most Warre hives that I have seen just use butt joints, I made mine with finger joints. Finger joints are much stronger, the dimensions are Warre not Langstroth.

Butt joints are just fine and easier to build. If you glue and screw the box will be perfectly strong. I dropped full ones accidentily, nothing happened. Except the bees were kinda p*ssed of course...

Use proper handle bars. The boxes are much easier to pick up and lift. As there is most likely no need to move them on a trailer in big numbers, you can use those handles with great comfort. Even if moving, an air flow between the boxes is beneficial. Since the hive dimensions are small, you still get the same number of hives onto the trailer.

Just do a test and screw on some handles. Compare. That's why I like using Warré's - the light weight of each box and proper handles you get a proper grip on.

There is another use for handles: I put the handles at the front and back (cold way), so I can stand the hive box on it's handle for inspections. Without crushing bees. And without lifting the box off the hive.

Especially important when using fixed comb Warré boxes (no frames), because you inspect from below like a skep.

In fresh comb there is a good view, the older the comb, the less you see. Drive the bees into the back with smoke, bend the combs a little and see through.

Great pics Bernhard,

I have no problem with butt joints, I just enjoy the woodworking. After seeing your pics I will have to reconsider the hand holds. I was just thinking from a woodworkers point of view, not a functional view.

Do you have any pics of your bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Slee View Post
    It's not, most Warre hives that I have seen just use butt joints, I made mine with finger joints. Finger joints are much stronger, the dimensions are Warre not Langstroth.
    Nice finger joints Slee ,I've made them in the past and they never turned out that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Bees View Post
    Nice finger joints Slee ,I've made them in the past and they never turned out that nice.
    Thanks DC