Default Package Bees and cold snap

I received my first package of bees,ever, this past wednesday. I put them in the hive ok, with sugar water mixed with fumagilin. I put pro patty from Walter Kelly on top bars. It has turned cold ever since, first couple cold days were not so bad then came rain. This weekend has been windy with 30 mp gust, highs at 49. I put a thick blanket on side of hive receiving wind. I have been worried about my bees. The weather has not allowed me to check if queen is out of queen cage and alive. It will warm to 60 by Thursday. I don't know why I did not think of this yesterday but I have a storm cellar that stays at 50 degrees or so. I am going to block all exits to the hive and move them into the cellar. Almost forgot, I have a boardman feeder on hive. Today is Monday, I should be able to move them back out by Wednesday or Thursday. I think the high winds are over, yesterday I put grass to block the small opening of the reducer because a few bees would try to come out but wind would blow them away. I am concerned about the dip into the 30's next two nights. Should I continue with plan to put them in cellar or leave them alone ? I am off today so I will be checking on them as day warms. I am concerned that it has been to cold for them to come off cluster and feed. I do know they are close to pro patty. Will they eat patty alone if they can't get to sugar water? I fear them starving if I don't move them to cellar. Thanks Jeff

Default Re: Package Bees and cold snap

I would not move them. Coming from a package they do not have any food stored, so if you can warm some syrup for them they should take it. The cold should not be a problem in my opinion.

You could also try placing some newspaper on the top bars and pouring some sugar on it.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I agree about not moving them.

The problem is not the outside temperature, 30 degrees is not really that cold. The problem is accessing cold feed.

If the hive has an inner cover with a hole to allow the bees to access the topside of the cover, remove the Boardman feeder and warm up the syrup to a temperature that is hot to your skin but not burning you. Then put the boardman feeder with the warm syrup just sitting on top of the inner cover, and add another hive boy over the top, with the outer cover over that.

Daily you can replace the syrup with more warmed syrup. If you are really worried, also dump some warmed granulated sugar on the innercover and mist it slightly with water.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Thanks, I like that solution. I will do that.