Hybrid View

Default propolis pricing

I've just pulled propolis from a couple of those plastic traps, and wondering what is the going market price. I've heard five bucks per gram, but after weighing out some five gram bags, it doesn't seem like a lot to offer a customer.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: propolis pricing

I've kinda watched it on eBay and have seen it go for a buck a gram.

Who buys it?
    No one famous.

buck per gram seems better. At fiver per gram I was thinking to heck with honey and NUC sales, lol.

@Bee Whisperer- we haven't sold any yet, but some customers with cancer have been very interested in it.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Cool Re: propolis pricing

I sell over a 100 lbs a year at $65+ a lb. Only wish I had more time to produce more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    I sell over a 100 lbs a year at $65+ a lb. Only wish I had more time to produce more.
    How do you capture it? How much do you get per hive per year?

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    If you don't mind sharing?
    Where do you sell it?

You sell everything but the buzz!

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    Who buys it?
    Propolis is well known in European and Eastern traditional and non-traditional medicine. In Russia, we use propolis quite often. It is an official "medicine" and you could purchase it at the drug-store in the form of tincture or liniment. Eastern culture know propolis very well also (for couple of thousand years?). In US it is difficult to find a good propolis because people just do not know how to collect/treat it properly. Also, I guess, the source of the "sap" is very important. The best propolis in Russia comes from spring unopened poplar buds - it has very distinctive odor. I bought some powdered propolis on the farmers market (1 oz $10) and it was not good. I am using my Russian propolis. It must be solid, not a powder. 10% wax is not a problem. It should not be "cleaned", it has to be raw. Plastic traps is not good idea - plastifiers from the plastic will contaminate the ptopolis. Scraping the boxes/frames sounds like good idea, but keep in mind - somebody will consume it afterwards. Somewhere on beesource, I posted large post regarding medicinal use of good propolis. Propolis is normally used in small quantities - my family need in propolis is may be 10 gr per year.

Mainly from the beesource I learned how much chemicals beekeepers put inside the hive to keep bee "healthy". All those chemicals accumulated in the wax and propolis. One who is selling propolis for medicinal use should be responcible and notify the customers that propolis potentially may be contaminated with deadly (to mites) chemicals
    Last edited by cerezha; 07-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

lead appears to be a problem in propolis. personally, i would not sell to some who is going to use it directly.
    cc pollen buys it, and has a large room sized line of equipment to clean it (wax and dirt), and remove the lead....and the liability for some poor kids lead ingestion.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"