Default Ventilation in the D Coates nuc design - is it fine?

Hello all,
    I am just wondering if the D Coates nucs have enough ventilation. Has anyone else thought about or experienced this question before? We are going to be taking 300 nucs (using the D Coates boxes) to Overton, Nevada this September (2013), which will get a bit warm. Should I add more ventilation when building the nucs or should I not worry about it? Please input; thanks!

Default Re: Ventilation in the D Coates nuc design - is it fine?

I drilled a single 1/2" hole onthe front at the top just below the lid lip and covered it with 1/8" screen. It seemed to help, but I did still get some minor mold issues towards the back of the box below where I had put a patty, but I have much more humidity than you do.

I build a few with the end cap (part 7 on Robo plans) raised slightly, maybe 3/32" for some extra ventilation.

I normally cut a square out of the bottom and staple screen over it. I'm not sure its completely necessary but, it can easily covered if the extra ventilation is not needed. It does give me piece of mind when I move nucs during hot weather.

I use a drilled hole in the front for the entrance and then about an inch hold drilled in the back covered with 1/8 hardware cloth. I think this gives you plenty for most applications.

My tops warped nd provided all the ventilation you could ask for

Quote Originally Posted by John R C View Post
    My tops warped nd provided all the ventilation you could ask for
    That's why I changed the plan for the top to be a telescoping top instead. Costs just a little bit more and of course they don't stack as close together as migratory, but I think they do better not having to defend all the "extra" openings. The extra cost is probably about $1 a nuc. I buy 1x from lowes and get 1.5 to 2 tops per 1X.