Hybrid View

Default Bees carrying off larvae?

We are in mid-missouri and today, about 45 degrees outside, was putting feed out before a big cold front/storm moving in. I noticed a bee pulling out a 1/2 developed larvae. What could be going on? The hive is otherwise healthy and it was too cold out to really explore the situation any further.

Default Re: Bees carrying off larvae?

Probably chilled brood. Had a few pupae today myself. The last two nights of 25 F caused them to cluster more tightly and some brood on the edge of the nest got too cold. They just discard and start again--after sucking out the juices to recycle the protein. Wouldn't worry about it much. Actually pretty normal this time of year--especially w/ the winter that won't quit.

[QUOTE=JClark;912321] They just discard and start again--after sucking out the juices to recycle the protein. Wouldn't worry about it much. QUOTE]

BEES ARE CANNIBALS didnt know this

They are just re using resources. Can't place our morals and values on them. We certainly wouldn't want Everyone working hard and producing! I just wish we only had 20% drones. How is the weather in MS? Thats where my queens are supposed to come from in two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    How is the weather in MS? Thats where my queens are supposed to come from in two weeks!

the weather yesterday was cloudy,rainy and warm today is sunny and windy the past few weeks have been beautiful and will be this way for the next week according to the the ten day forcast.... who are you getting your queens from?

The bees could also be removing diploid drones. This happens normally, but it happens more frequently when the queen and the drones she mated with are closely related. It yields a brood pattern with a lot of holes in it.

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/what-th...in-bee-school/
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"