Default Those with hive top feeders - how do you inspect your hives?

I have a few hives with the brushy mountain hive top feeders with floats. To inspect the hive, I must remove the feeder (while there are hundreds of bees eating) and sit it elsewhere. When I'm done with the inspection, I put the feeder back on the hive. The problem is the area where the feeder was sitting has smashed 30 to 50 bees. Is there a way to avoid killing so many with this type of feeder while doing an inspection?

Default Re: Those with hive top feeders - how do you inspect your hives?

What is the purpose of your inspection this time of year? Maybe lay a couple small (2"x2") boards on the ground to rest your feeder on to reduce the surface area and minimize bee loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubuquer View Post
    What is the purpose of your inspection this time of year? Maybe lay a couple small (2"x2") boards on the ground to rest your feeder on to reduce the surface area and minimize bee loss.
    Honestly, I'm new to beekeeping and wanted to check the hives and make sure the queen was ok, etc... The packages were installed not too long ago. I have read that you should inspect the hives every week or so. Thanks for the idea of the 2"x2" boards. That should help.

turn your top upside down and set the feeder on the top turned 45 to 90. That way there is only 4 points of contact, and they're small.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Totally agree with Slow! Give the hive a little smoke before you put the feeder back on and you will chase the girls on top of the frames down, so you don't smash them either.

Now is a GREAT time to be doing inspections! I have already seen swarm cells in hives. If you don't inspect you can't make decisions on how you will manage splits, swarms, ect.

I have brushy mount feeders and i only give my bees a gallon a week on Sunday, that way if i want to inspect a hive the feeder is empty by the next sunday and easy to handel. I dont know if you have SHB were you are but shb love it under the floats when the feeder is dry and the bees cant get to them. I always take the floats out when the feeder is empty <if I dont want to remove it from the hive.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Never liked that type of hive top feeder. I make mine similar to the fat bee mans feeders and they work great. The bottom has about a 1/4 inch of space so you will never have a problem with smashing bees and the screened ladder keeps the bees contained while refilling it.

Great ideas, Thanks

Also let the feeder run low before inspections, then you can rinse it out, & fill with fresh syrup. As the weather gets warmer syrup will ferment faster.
    Dan