Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What smoker to buy

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
What smoker would you all recommend. I will have 2 hives and never plan on having more than 3-5? See many different prices some different sizes and styles. Also same question for hive tool. Thanks for your opinions in advance .

#5 ·
I would purchase the larger style from Dadant's or Kelley's 4" x 10" You will soon grow into it and they are easier to keep lit as the firebox is larger. No need to modify it or add an insert if you burn the proper fuel.

#6 ·
I don't have any problem keeping the 4X7 lit. The liner is a good Idea though. YOu just have to establish coals to hold the heat before filling with fuel and puff every couple minutes. Long needle pine straw or old burlap spud or wool sacks are my favorite fuels.

#8 ·
I've got a large Dadant smoker. I don't always fill it to the top, but if I do it will stay lit long enough for me to do almost any task.

I have two standard length hive tools, one of each design. I prefer the J shape for lifting frames, the chisel-shape is better for scraping off wild comb and propolis. I also have an extra long one, which can be handy for cutting brace comb built between the lower edges of frames during the winter.

#9 ·
I've got smokers from both Mann Lake and Dadant. 4x7 and 4x10 from Dadant, and 4x10 from Mann Lake. The bellows is easier to pump on the Mann Lake, but leaks. I never had a problem keeping my 4x7 Dadant lit and it burned plenty long enough to work a yard with 24 hives.

Wisnewbee

#11 ·
I have one from brushy mountain with the guard. fingers are not the only things that burn. It works great. I have never had an issue getting it started. keeping it going I have had issues with one or twice but that was due to me getting busy with the bees and not stoking it often enough. otherwise if you get it going good it can set and smolder for a long time and still start puffing smoke when needed. I got the large one and a good packed load of fuel will last a couple of hours.

#12 ·
We use exclusively Dadant 4x7's with shield. I dont think the Mann Lake smoker even compares. Remember the shield is about a lot more than protecting yourself from getting burned! it also protects the bottom of the smoker from burning into the surface it is sitting on and gives you a handy built in hanger that works well to hang from a box while working a hive.

#14 ·
A little bulky for me I guess. Also we have custom made smoker boxes to transport them. A full charge of pellets well lit will still last you most of a day in a 7" smoker too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.