Hybrid View

Default What smoker to buy

What smoker would you all recommend. I will have 2 hives and never plan on having more than 3-5? See many different prices some different sizes and styles. Also same question for hive tool. Thanks for your opinions in advance .

Default Re: What smoker to buy

I would get a small dadant one. If you know that hot surfaces burn fingers, you can get by without the wire guard that just makes me careless and gets my fingers burned. Mine is old old and still works great.

I agree with Vance, get the small 7" from Dadant, but I would recommend having a shield.

Wisnewbee

Larger smokers are easier to light and keep lit. Since that is the primary issue people have with smokers, I would get a large one... then put make a liner for it...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#smokerinsert
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would purchase the larger style from Dadant's or Kelley's 4" x 10" You will soon grow into it and they are easier to keep lit as the firebox is larger. No need to modify it or add an insert if you burn the proper fuel.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I don't have any problem keeping the 4X7 lit. The liner is a good Idea though. YOu just have to establish coals to hold the heat before filling with fuel and puff every couple minutes. Long needle pine straw or old burlap spud or wool sacks are my favorite fuels.