Default Check this pic, is it bearding or a swarm preparing? Help!

It's 49 degrees outside, and this is what I am seeing.

What the heck is this? Could it be bearding this early in the season? It's cloudy and not really warm outside.

What is going on?

bearding.JPG

Default Re: Check this pic, is it bearding or a swarm preparing? Help!

I still have mouse guards on. It's supposed to have a frozen mix the next few days, so I didn't want to take them off yet. Should I add another med. super to this hive???????

Looks like the bees are just out enjoying the sunshine. Lots of little brown specks on the hives? Poop time!

Mine have been stuck inside for the last week, and will probably be stuck inside again for another week after tomorrow, so I'm not surprised at the activity. Lots of bee spots where they've come out but it's too cold to fly far.

Way to cold to do a complete inspection, and I don't think they are getting ready to swarm yet, too cold.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bees4Us View Post
    I still have mouse guards on.
    I was going to suggest it might be a reduced entrance after everyone has made a run to the out house.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Its 55 degrees here bees are flying and bring in loads of pollen. Opened the reducer back to like 6 inches. Is that to much? The girls are bringing in all colors of pollen .I think I have stone brood in one hive. The girls are throwing out little white and gray pellets. The books say they will take care of it and that I have to much moisture in the hive, so I opened up the entrance a little. Does this sound right?
    Last edited by keswickb; 03-23-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks for the quick and needed supplies. I removed the mouse guard completely, and they were very happy with that it seems! I also added another med. super box, which they quickly started moving up into! They needed MORE room! I have seen capped brood, and seen some drone cappings! How exciting!

I did check on the other hive, and didn't see any of the same Very small amount of bees, but they greatly dug into the brood patty slices I put in there. Maybe that will help???

They seemed like they had food. I left their mouse guard on. I think they need it for a while, especially with the light activicty.

I would have liked to have put some brood frames in the weaker hive, but I have never done that before, and really need some help doing that. I am going to call my mentor and see if during the next inspection he will help me move some over. Plus, I don't want to accidentally move the queen over. I need to be sure she stays in the right hive. No stings today

I didn't mean you open yours up .I was talking about my set up. Im a new beek too, don't want to stir you wrong .I don't think I would take it all the way off.