Default SHB prevention with Plywood

i was at the hardware store today and browsing the bee equipment when someone who worked there (very friendly fellow) advised that he has no problem with SHB because his hives are on a stand where plywood extends out about a foot beyond the opening of the hive thereby preventing the beetles from effectively reaching soil to mature. I fight beetles all the time, but I have not heard this before, have any of you?

Default Re: SHB prevention with Plywood

Well, if you can prevent SHB larva from getting to soil, they may die, but it seems unlikely that simply a foot of plywood is going to help with that. SHB larva can crawl. Here's one reference about SHB and soil treatments:
    http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/r...-observations/

Ag lime, or diatomaceous earth under and around a hive are a couple of options for ground treatment.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Won't work. The larvae can crawl a lot farther than a few feet. NCSU bee lab did something with this a few years ago and they found that the little worm can go along ways.

No easy answer to this problem. Either you poison the little lovelies or you really make sure there are no hiding holes for them from the bees. The bees hassle them so much they give up and leave and few traps are useful as well. A few inches of wood are not going to stop them.
    Cheers
    Rob