Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Placing grass in the entrance of the hive.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  EastSideBuzz 
#1 ·
When installing a package of bees, is it best to block the entrance to the hive for 24 hours, or to leave the entrance open?

#3 ·
They don't need to be contained to trigger orientation, they are acting like a swarm and will orient as soon as hived.

An old brood comb, if you have one, is a great boost, but not necessary.

Once in a great while, a package will abscond, but it's rare and I don't know what you could to to prevent it, if they don't like that nice hive you are providing they don't like it.

Peter

#6 ·
Welcome to the site F.W.! I got to install packages for the first time in Pickens today. I was mentored by the V.P. of the Pickens Bee Assoc. I will be installing 4 of my own next Saturday. It was exciting. I'm pumped! Mine will be north ot Aunt Sue's above Hwy. 11.

#8 ·
Were you in the beginner class? My wife and I were. Kevin -. V.P. let me help him yesterday. I had a ball. I can't wait to get my own. He is going to drop by next weekend in case anything goes wrong. He'll be up this way anyway helping another beginner class student. Where are your bees?

Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.