Default Pierco plastic frame questions

Hi everyone. First year of beekeeping coming up, and I have a couple of questions about frames.

I picked up some used Pierco plastic frames yesterday. Plan is to have one hive with the Pierco frames and one hive with wood and wax frames/found. to see how the bees like each. Sound strategy or should I stick with one type?

Also on the Piercos, some are brand new and some are used. The ones that are used - some have a hood amount of drawn out comb on them. Others have very little if anything on them. Should I scrape them down, sanitize them, recoat with wax, and use them or stick them in the freezer for a few days and then use them?

As always TIA.
    Last edited by imthedude; 03-24-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Default Re: Pierco plastic frame questions

Bump

There is little to sterilize for except American Foul Brood and you need very elaborate equipment to do that. If you suspect disease they should be thrown away. If they are hardly used and not tar black, I would use them as is or take a sharp knife and put it in a pan of very hot water and then trim the wax you are calling a hood, down level with the sidebars to even them out. Do not scrape unless they are tar black and you want the bees to rebuild them.

One needs to be careful buying used equipment as it can be full of AFB spores. You tube AFB or the full phrase and you will find videos and discussions about what it looks and smells like. You might consider segregating the drawn frames in one hive and using all the undrawn frames in the other. Other than that, the equipment is interchangeable.

sorry. it should have said a good amount of comb drawn out instead of a hood amount. i'm all thumbs.....thanks for the input.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

You can power wash the frames and dip in a bleach wash then rinse well and recoat with wax and reuse.