Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Looks like warm weather will be here for good, starting Sunday.
    Left Florida yesterday, Sure hope warm weather will find Kentucky soon.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I know a guy who has been a beekeeper about 60 years. Cleo knows him too. .
    Mark..Yes a GREAT guy. We have been having breakfast each morning at a little "hole in the wall" restaurant in Moore Haven. I love talking to him. Lots of interesting stories. I will miss them. Left Florida yesterday for Kentucky.

cchoganjr

I think everyone around me is tired of this cold weather repeatedly dipping down here and lingering. Since the heavy rains it's been hitting the low 30's and tagging the upper 20's at night here in central SC. The daytime has been hanging out in the 50's. The bees have been active since getting out after the rains, though. Along with peaches, other trees, and weeds, the holly is bloom. This means our first noticeable nectar flow is underway. So, the girls are out busily gathering nectar while the sun shines. Jessamine is also abloom, but there is so much else that they find more attractive blooming at the same time that I've never seen a honey bee partaking of it.

It may have been (and will again be) cold but it doesn't seem to have slowed the bees. I'm seeing loads of swarm cells.....and a few already flew the coop.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

SC Blues no longer! Hi today of 65 & supposed to be remain that warm & warmer for the next 10 days. Checked the hives and did some slits. Nectar and pollen are both coming on..... Finally!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver