Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,104

    Default SC Beekeeping Blues

    I've been down here in SC working bees these past three weeks and we haven't had very good weather for foraging or mating. Next week doesn't look any better. Will hardly break 60 degrees all week according to The Weather Channel.

    I spent the last two days feeding hives w/ HFCS 55, some twice in less than 24 hours. Yellow jasmine is in bloom and causing problems in those hives foraging on it.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  2. #2

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    we haven't had very good weather for foraging or mating.
    Same here. Also, there's no joy working 'em in cold weather either. It put them in a foul mood....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    2,120

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Mark while I don't share the pain to your extent as it's just a hobby to me with about 25 hives, it is a lousy weather here in SC. I'm feeding also. I'm thinking this cold spell has set everyone here back about 2 weeks if not longer. I'm sure it has really screwed up your schedule.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    4,531

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    the weather here has been mixed, but i'm hoping there have been enough good foraging days mixed in with the cold rainy ones that enough nectar has come in so as to not have starvation.

    there was still capped honey from last fall in all of the hives last time i looked, and i have not put any feed out yet.

    i am seeing more bees being dragged out with deformed wings, especially from one of the hives. could this be from chilling?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  5. #5

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i am seeing more bees being dragged out with deformed wings, especially from one of the hives. could this be from chilling?
    Deformed wings from chilling?!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    4,531

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    shriveled wings. i vaguely remember reading that chilling could cause this, so i thought i would ask.

    could be dmv as well, but this is my strongest hive coming out of winter. it has a deep and a half worth of bees. i suppose the brooding could have helped the mites, and this is one i moved back home from an outyard that had mite losses with robbing in one case.

    plus, i was a little late in checkerboarding this one, and when i opened it for the first time, the broodnest was divided between the bottom deep and the medium above it (the medium was full of honey going into winter).

    in the process of adding the second medium i opened up the broodnest in the first medium with empty comb and moved a couple of frames of brood up into the second medium, keeping the brood frames in all three boxes lined up vertically.

    then it turned cold. i may have spread the brood a little bit too much, which is why i thought the dead emerging bees with shriveled wings could have been from the cold. i had not seen any of this before i opened the broodnest and the cold weather set in.

    if any of mine deserve to swarm it is this one, but as of last week no swarm intent was seen, all signs indicating an expanding broodnest.

    i'll be taking a mite count on this hive pretty soon just to see.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,121

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Its cold here too.

    Yesterday I was watching my bees harvesting water from a flipped over garbage can lid that had collected rain. The water surface had frozen overnight, and then partially defrosted in the sun to have a mix of water and ice. Bees were flocking to this cold water!

    A few days earlier I had placed a small block of wood in there so there was a float for them to land on, and most of them definitely preferred to use the water absorbed into the wood. However I saw a few standing on ice and collecting melt water from the surface. This was on a day where my recorded high temperature for the day was 46 degrees.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,104

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Shriviled wings on newly emerged bees sounds like Deformed Wing Virus to me, not chilled brood. Better do a mite check.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  9. #9

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Shriviled wings on newly emerged bees sounds like Deformed Wing Virus to me, not chilled brood. Better do a mite check.
    I think in his/her heart, he/she knows this....but was hoping for another explanation.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    4,531

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    if i'm getting dmv after only the first few rounds of brood for the year then i'm guessing this colony is in trouble.

    it may have gotten a high load after robbing the dead out next to it a few weeks ago.

    if that's the case, it will most likley be split up into mating nucs for my first round of queens.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,104

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    What's "dmv"? DWV= deformed wing virus. In my book "dmv" means Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,121

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    > What's "dmv"?

    That's when your bees hide out in the back of the hive and try to look busy, even though they are not really doing anything except surfing the web. Its not a fatal condition, but everything moves so slowly that as dusk grows closer you expect to be told to come back tomorrow just to get your "honey".

    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    4,531

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    dwv, thanks mark.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,374

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Mark: Feeling your pain here in east Texas as well. Haven't had any flying weather in several days. On the plus side, though, is the bees stay where you put them.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  15. #15

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    On the plus side, though, is the bees stay where you put them.
    Sometimes ya gotta dig deep to find that silver lining.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,374

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Sometimes ya gotta dig deep to find that silver lining.
    Actually from a nuc making standpoint it's the best of times. Of course, the big picture isn't quite as rosy as we may not see 60 degrees in the next few days and we have virgins about ready to fly. I just keep reminding myself of one of my rules in this business and that is not to spend a lot of time worrying about things over which I have no control.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Mark Im guessing that you wont be sticking around for the flow, but do you think that the weather we are having now is going to make for a good flow?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greene, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    SC BB; I am new to this. What do you mean when you say; "Yellow jasmine is in bloom and causing problems in those hives foraging on it?"
    No one famous.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,104

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Mark Im guessing that you wont be sticking around for the flow, but do you think that the weather we are having now is going to make for a good flow?
    My bees and I will be here until the orchards in NY need them. Certainly there will be a flow by then.

    What the rain we are getting right now is not something I can predict. One thing doesn't necassarily follow thye other.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,104

    Default Re: SC Beekeeping Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    SC BB; I am new to this. What do you mean when you say; "Yellow jasmine is in bloom and causing problems in those hives foraging on it?"
    Yellow Jasmine nectar is toxic to bees. Dead bees on the bottom boards.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads