Default Slow queen.. what to do?

Hi -

My three hives in NorCal made it thru the winter, though one barely so. The weak looked like it was a goner in Feb as it had no brood and only a couple frames of bees, so in mid February I added a frame of brood and bees from a stronger hive. I just checked it and it's doing OK but not great, with only a couple frames with brood (capped and uncapped) that covers maybe a third of the frame. My other two hives are booming.

I'm wondering if this queen is simply not making the grade - is it too early to make this conclusion? Last year she did fine.

I am splitting another hive and presume I'll have queen cells from that soon so I could squish her and put a cell into the hive.

Thanks!

Default Re: Slow queen.. what to do?

I don't waste time and money on poor hives anymore. I break them up into nucs with new fresh queens. I picked up this idea from a thread Mike Palmer posted a while back and have since adoped it. I'm happy I did. In the past I had hives that struggled through an entire season only to die later. Why waste the time.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Default Re: Slow queen.. what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    I don't waste time and money on poor hives anymore. I break them up into nucs with new fresh queens. I picked up this idea from a thread Mike Palmer posted a while back and have since adoped it. I'm happy I did. In the past I had hives that struggled through an entire season only to die later. Why waste the time.

Mike
    I agree, last year was my first year with bees and I had one hive die(dec/jan) from what was probably a poor laying queen. I was going to replace her last september because There was little pollen coming in. Dont you know at the last day the hive started to bring in lots of pollen. Lesson learned if I suspect a weak queen I will replace her.