Default Swarm season in NE GA

Yesterday was really a bit cold to be working hives but I am so far behind I had to get into some. The girls were not happy and made me pay. I came across several double deep hives that were packed full of bees. Multiple capped swarm cells and I’m thinking that the only reason they haven’t swarmed already is that it has been cool. First warm day….and I’m gonna have bees in the trees……..
    Swarm season is upon us in NE GA.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Swarm season in NE GA

interesting dan. are those hives on ridgetops or in valleys?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

You've been into your hives sp....and aren't even seeing early swarm cells? These were in an open field, full sun, double deeps. From each I took two full five-frame splits and left single deeps with 10 full frames LOADED with bees. I would have made three three-frame splits from each and left eight frames but I didn't have enough nuc boxes with me. I must go back and add another deep to these hives soooooonnn.....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

no sign of swarm preps at all dan here in northeast al.

mine are just now getting to ten deep frames of bees, and they have two checkerboarded meduims of drawn comb above them.

lots of brood hatching though, will have to add more supers soon.

i have noticed that the first blooms on my ridgetop are 1-2 weeks behind those in the valley below me.

we are at least a few weeks behind on blooms compared to last year, so i'm thinking swarming will come a little later as well.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives