Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting bees

Default Re: Getting bees

They are likely the same, or very closely related.

Also, if you speak Russian, you might want to check out http://www.pchelovod.info for advice from beekeepers in your Region. All beekeeping is local!
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth. 4 Hives. AHB region.

Quote Originally Posted by jdawdy View Post
    They are likely the same, or very closely related.

Also, if you speak Russian, you might want to check out http://www.pchelovod.info for advice from beekeepers in your Region. All beekeeping is local!
    thanks i speak russian. but what you mean by local? im not russian.

All beekeeping is local, means that how you keep your bees depends very much on your local conditions. For example, what works well, or is good advice, in Georgia, might be terrible in Germany. You should rely more on what other beekeepers in the Caucases are doing- the plants the bees forage on, the climate, the type of bees are similar.

For example, you might have a lot of buckwheat (grechka) available, which makes excellent honey. Here in the USA there is very little buckwheat, and instead alfalfa and clover are the important bee crops.

So, you really need to connect with local/regional beekeepers. They will tell you what works and what doesn't in your area.

I just started beekeeping in January. I placed a swarm box on a tree in my back yard in the sun. I had no response for two months. Another beek told be to put the trap in the shade. I moved the trap to the shade and caught a swarm the next day. Is it because of the shade or just timming I'm not sure, but the shade worked for me. About a week later I moved the hive into full sun and faced away from the wind, so far they are doing great. And Good Luck!

Nathan, when you put the hive in the shade, how high did you put the hive box?
    Is it on a tree or on a bee stand?

Rader Sidetrack said catching a swarm is like fishing. This is true. Once when I went fishing(off a dock) I let the fishing line drag on the bottom of the lake. I caught an eel.
    You will increase your odds of getting bees if your hive trap is a few feet up (like 6-10ft). Good luck catching your bees. Also, a little lemongrass oil as a lure is important.
    Last edited by linn; 03-23-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: quote

I put it about 6' high when I caught the first swarm, but the branch broke so now I'm trying to catch another swarm with the box sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.

Can you nail and hang your box up there and then strap down the box? I think 5 gallon bucket is too low that the
    bees not like that low. The min is 7' I think.

Where i can buy lemongrass? what kind of stores?

In the USA lemongrass oil is often sold in "health food stores". Or you may be able to buy it online. Here is one link:
    http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/lemongrass-oil.html
    Note that the link above does not ship to your country, but the link is intended to provide you more product information.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Well i think i will be unable to find that in my country, whats alternative?

Old brood comb is attractive to bees seeking a new hive.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1111 View Post
    Where i can buy lemongrass? what kind of stores?
    Chinese/ Japanese/ Thai grocery store
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Chinese/ Japanese/ Thai grocery store
    Well, Nick1111, who is the one looking for a source for lemongrass oil, is in Georgia. But, his Georgia is in the Caucasus region of eastern Europe! The opportunity to find an Asian grocery store may be somewhat limited there.

Aside from the old brood comb that ralittlefield mentioned, old dead queen bees stored in alcohol can be used as a swarm lure also. But dead queens and brood comb are rarely available unless you know a beekeeper.

Try to find a local beekeeper.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Nick,

Look for a large apteka in Tbilisi, especially one that has homeopathy medicines. If they dont have lemonrass oil, you can use a mint oil.

How about Indian stores from India?
    You can probably find them there if you do a search. Or ask someone if they know any.
    Maybe the store will carry the oil.

Is a ten frame langstroth hive considered a 40 liter trap? Nick 1111, it sounds like you are using your hive as a bait trap. I read the ideal bait trap has a 40 liter capacity and is 10 feet up. The first swarms in the Spring can be pretty big, so I think your idea of using the hive as a bait trap is good.
    Last edited by linn; 03-24-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: adding one thing