Hybrid View

Default Expanding the Brood Nest

I have two hives that I started in August and October respectfully. After they had filled the single deep I put another deep at the bottom. I did this knowing that they tend to put the brood closer to the entrance. Now it's spring and they are producing honey down here in South Florida, and the bottom boxes aren't even drawn out yet. Should I remove the bottom box, put it on top or???

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Expanding the Brood Nest

Yes & quickly......
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

If i move it to the top, won't they just fill it with honey?

After they draw the foundation into comb the queen will move up and lay......
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Well, what they do depends on the bees and your location. We use two deeps for brood here since we need that much honey for overwintering (a full deep or equivalent). If you don't need that much, you can get by with one deep and an excluder with honey supers on top.

Likely if you switch the boxes (as I think you should, pronto) they will either treat it like a honey super of move the brood nest up partially into it. An empty box of partially drawn comb is an invitation to SHB infestation in the south.

Check with some local beekeepers and see what they do, as their advice will be based on your climate and conditions while ours, unless we live close to you, can only be generalizations of our experiences.

Peter