Thread: raising queens

Hybrid View

Default raising queens

I've been raising queens for sometime now but still am not sure about how much of a mating time does she have before she loses that oppertunity for a good mating, and becomes a poor queen? After about 5-7 days, she is ready to mate, but if the weather turns cold and rainy,(as it is now), how much time does she have in waiting for better weather before lossing the oppertunity? Would love to hear from some experianced queen raising experts. Thank you, and may everyone have a succesful year.

Jim G.

Default Re: raising queens

My feeling is that first week of maturity is the " golden hour". After that, well, you have a right to be concerned. On the plus side, though, I have found queens that somehow got mated in some pretty poor conditions

I read a story in BeeCulture that a person has witnessed queens getting mated at 21 days old and being successful. The bad thing about that is it will be over a month before the first bee hatches from the time the queen was able to get out and mate!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I'm sure there is some point where the odds greatly increase that you will get a drone layer and a point where it's a sure thing, virtually, but 21 days is a good bet for that point that it's a forgone conclusion.

http://www.bushfarms.com/huber.htm#i...ectstheovaries
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

For me this year it was 14 days. The weather was not conducive for mating any sooner. We had two days of decent weather right around 12 days after they emerged and I was worried they were past their time, but as of right now they are laying beautiful patterns almost full frames. How long that last is anyones guess.