Default Solid bottom board material

I was looking to see what I had laying around for material and I have a lot of 1/2 OSB and some 3/4 , will OSB hold up if painted or should I get exterior plywood or I could probably find enough 3/4 boards and lap joint them together crossways in the dado .

Default Re: Solid bottom board material

I have some that are about 3 years old with 1/2 osb bottoms - which have never been painted - and they are still holding together, but that is about the best you can say about it. The best thing to use is sustainable organic plantation raised teak. Ext grade plywood works pretty good too.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Solid anything is always better than particle anything. But, if the OSB is all you have than so be it. Painting, especially the edges, will help a grat deal.

Kind of thought maybe it wasn't the best idea , I'll come up with something else , I have sheets of the osb but I don't think its the way to go .

I would say go ahead and do it. Paint it and it'll be no problem. The garage at my home was "sided" with OSB when we bought the house, had been for many years, and it's still doing fine now a few years later. Go for it.

If it was something the bees wouldn't come in contact with I would try it but this is what there landing and walking on all day , the paint could start to peel and then the wood could get punky and mold growing on it maybe not a good idea , I try to use stuff I have but in this case I'll get some good exterior plywood or just lap joint some 1x6 pine boards .

OSB would have to be sealed completely on all sides to keep it from falling apart. Any water leak of any kind onto a non-sealed section, and OSB falls completely apart in a matter of weeks. Nasty stuff, shouldn't be allowed in construction. No significant strength, either, but that's another matter.

If you have nothing else, go ahead. Coat with linseed oil, working into the cracks and crevices, prime with two coats of alkyd primer, and paint with at least two coats of high quality exterior paint, making absolutely positive that you have not left any "holidays" where water can get to the OSB. Should last at least a few years that way, but my experiences with OSB lead me to think even that won't be good enough and in a few years the landing board will be crumbling.

If you are buying something, untreated exterior grade plywood (CDX) is fine, and is what I'm using on my nuc bases. Same drill, linseed oil, primer, paint EVERYTHING, otherwise it will absorb water and de-laminate in a few years as the wood fails along the glue lines.

Just the nature of man-made materials.

Peter

Psfred - I'm not singing the praises of OSB, but either you are thinking of particle board or of an experience with osb from the distant past - or a really really cheap grade (did you know there are different kinds?) I've been in construction since before osb was widely used, and it's a good material if it's used correctly. It will fall apart if it's exposed to soaking water, but it takes months not weeks.

Like I mentioned - the best material for woodenware is teak - strong, light, attractive, almost completely rot proof. Your teak bee hives will still be good when your great great great grand kids take up the smoker. The only draw back is the cost difference. So if it's all "quality over cost" that would be the only way to go. But it's not. It's a balance of what one can afford, what you have on hand, and how long it will last. It would be a shame to not grow your bee yard because better equipment isn't a good option for some reason.

I bet 3 out of 4 new bee keepers don't keep it up for 3 years - if that. Everyone always says - "don't buy used equipment, because it might be disease ridden." So you can't sell it no matter what it is made out of. So, beginners are probably better served by starting out with the most affordable woodenware available, then if they stick with it for a few years seriously consider expanding with the good stuff.

Unless part of the joy is getting to use something that is made out of a really nice piece of wood. In which case perhaps I could interest you in some teak hive bodies?
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

bottom boards ? most any thing will do and pait it up !
    thats the way i roll.

Would 1/2'' exterior plywood be thick enough for bottom boards , if so I could get one 4x8 sheet and make my inner covers and bottom boards out of the same sheet . Maybe a little heavy for inner covers but shouldn't hurt anything .

That's what I'm doing for nuc bases -- plan to stick with SBBs on the full sized hives for the time being at least. Paint exposed parts. In fact, I plant to paint the whole things, both sides. No point in making them and then having them fall apart in a couple years.

1/2" ply is great for inner and telescoping covers -- plenty of weight so they don't blow off, plenty of insulation for winter. Don't paint those though, just exposed parts, you want them to be able to absorb water vapor from the cluster. Not the same as being soaked by rain.

Peter

OSB (oriented strand board) has come a long way in the last few/several years. Advantech is a great OSB produce. I bet it would work well on bottom boards. I may give it a try myself.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I have my bottom bases almost done , they should be good and strong, made the side rails and back rail out of 2x4, the panel will be supported on all four sides down in a dado , nailed and glued . I went with a 3/4'' hi entrance in the front , hope that is the standard , I'll have to get with you guys sometime on the use of the entrance reducer .
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-23-2013 at 08:15 PM.